2000-11-18 01:36:21

by Jeff Merkey

Subject: VFS Kernel Panic in 2.4.0-10(11)

This is probably a configuration mismatch of some kind, but I just
finished building my 2.4.0 RPM skeletons and am installting them from
our latest CD burn, and I am seeing the following
problem when I upgrade our 2.2.17 kernel versions with 2.4.0-test10,
then reboot them under 2.4:

request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
VFS cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01.

The system was running Ute-Linux under 2.2.17 then was upgraded to
2.4.0-10 (with IPVS and pre-11 patches).
The disk is a 20GB device with

/dev/hda1 Linux (/,/boot) at
3,1
/dev/hda2 Extended (contains a swap partition /dev/hda5) at
3,2
/dev/hda3 Linux (/usr) at
3,3
/dev/hda4 Linux (/archive) at
3,4
/dev/hda5 Swap Swap at
3,5

Lilo is configured in linear mode. The device it's complaining about is
present
(03:01) and lilo does append a root=/dev/hda1 statement.

Any ideas?

Jeff

2000-11-18 01:59:42

by Jeff Merkey

Subject: Re: VFS Kernel Panic in 2.4.0-10(11)

We dfound it. 2.2.X .configs are incompatible with 2.4.0 and the
upgrade RPMs sucked them in. Since IDE is a unique CONFIG option, this
will break.

Jeff

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> This is probably a configuration mismatch of some kind, but I just
> finished building my 2.4.0 RPM skeletons and am installting them from
> our latest CD burn, and I am seeing the following
> problem when I upgrade our 2.2.17 kernel versions with 2.4.0-test10,
> then reboot them under 2.4:
>
> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01.
>
> The system was running Ute-Linux under 2.2.17 then was upgraded to
> 2.4.0-10 (with IPVS and pre-11 patches).
> The disk is a 20GB device with
>
> /dev/hda1 Linux (/,/boot) at
> 3,1
> /dev/hda2 Extended (contains a swap partition /dev/hda5) at
> 3,2
> /dev/hda3 Linux (/usr) at
> 3,3
> /dev/hda4 Linux (/archive) at
> 3,4
> /dev/hda5 Swap Swap at
> 3,5
>
> Lilo is configured in linear mode. The device it's complaining about is
> present
> (03:01) and lilo does append a root=/dev/hda1 statement.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Jeff
> -

by Alexander Viro

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> This is probably a configuration mismatch of some kind, but I just
> finished building my 2.4.0 RPM skeletons and am installting them from
> our latest CD burn, and I am seeing the following
> problem when I upgrade our 2.2.17 kernel versions with 2.4.0-test10,
> then reboot them under 2.4:
>
> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01.

IDE built as module. Root on IDE disk. Apparently, no initrd in sight.
Check your .config and either don't make IDE a module or enable initrd
and make sure to put the modules into initrd image.