2000-11-18 07:01:51

by Miles Lane

Subject: Please send Changelog info and patch notices for the test and -pre releases.

Dear Linus,

I haven't seen any announcements of recent test and test-pre releases.
Can you begin sending those again, please?

Best wishes,

Miles

2000-11-18 16:19:08

by Linus Torvalds

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Miles Lane wrote:

> I haven't seen any announcements of recent test and test-pre releases.
> Can you begin sending those again, please?

You can actually get them off kernel.org these days: Peter Anvin set up a
system whereby when I upload a changelog it automatically gets added to
the web-site (main page, bottom).

Linus

-----
- pre7:
- Kai Germaschewski: more ISDN cleanups and small fixes.
- Al Viro: fix ntfs_new_inode() that he broke. Cleanups.
- various: handle !CONFIG_HOTPLUG properly
- David Miller: sparc and networking
- me: more iso9660 fixes.
- Neil Brown: fix rd and RAID on highmem machines
- Vojtech Pavlik: input driver fixes
- David Woodhouse: module unload races - up_and_exit()

- pre6:
- Intel: start to add Pentium IV specific stuff (128-byte cacheline
etc)
- David Miller: search-and-destroy places that forget to mark us
running after removing us from a wait-queue.
- me: NFS client write-back ref-counting SMP instability.
- me: fix up non-exclusive waiters
- Trond Myklebust: Be more careful about SMP in NFS and RPC code
- Trond Myklebust: inode attribute update race fix
- Charles White: don't do unaligned accesses in cpqarray driver.
- Jeff Garzik: continued driver cleanup and fixes
- Peter Anvin: integrate more of the Intel patches.
- Robert Love: add i815 signature to the intel AGP support
- Rik Faith: DRM update to make it easier to sync up 2.2.x
- David Woodhouse: make old 16-bit pcmcia controllers work
again (ie i82365 and TCIC)

- pre5:
- Rasmus Andersen: add proper "<linux/init.h>" for sound drivers
- David Miller: sparc64 and networking updates
- David Trcka: MOXA numbering starts from 0, not 1.
- Jeff Garzik: sysctl.h standalone
- Dag Brattli: IrDA finishing touches
- Randy Dunlap: USB fixes
- Gerd Knorr: big bttv update
- Peter Anvin: x86 capabilities cleanup
- Stephen Rothwell: apm initcall fix - smp poweroff should work
- Andrew Morton: setscheduler() spinlock ordering fix
- Stephen Rothwell: directory notification documentation
- Petr Vandrovec: ncpfs capabilities check cleanup
- David Woodhouse: fix jffs to use generic isxxxx() library
- Chris Swiedler: oom_kill selection fix
- Jens Axboe: re-merge after sleeping in ll_rw_block.
- Randy Dunlap: USB updates (pegasus and ftdi_sio)
- Kai Germaschewski: ISDN ppp header compression fixed

- pre4:
- Andrea Arcangeli: SMP scheduler memory barrier fixup
- Richard Henderson: fix alpha semaphores and spinlock bugs.
- Richard Henderson: clean up the file from hell: "xor.c"

- pre3:
- James Simmons: vgacon "printk()" deadlock with global irq lock.
- don't poke blanked console on console output
- Ching-Ling: get channels right on ALI audio driver
- Dag Brattli and Jean Tourrilhes: big IrDA update
- Paul Mackerras: PPC updates
- Randy Dunlap: USB ID table support, LEDs with usbkbd, belkin
serial converter.
- Jeff Garzik: pcnet32 and lance net driver fix/cleanup
- Mikael Pettersson: clean up x86 ELF_PLATFORM
- Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz: sound and drm driver init fixes and
cleanups
- Al Viro: Jeff missed some kmap()'s. sysctl cleanup
- Kai Germaschewski: ISDN updates
- Alan Cox: SCSI driver NULL ptr checks
- David Miller: networking updates, exclusive waitqueues nest properly,
SMP i_shared_lock/page_table_lock lock order fix.

- pre2:
- Stephen Rothwell: directory notify could return with the lock held
- Richard Henderson: CLOCKS_PER_SEC on alpha.
- Jeff Garzik: ramfs and highmem: kmap() the page to clear it
- Asit Mallick: enable the APIC in the official order
- Neil Brown: avoid rd deadlock on io_request_lock by using a
private rd-request function. This also avoids unnecessary
request merging at this level.
- Ben LaHaise: vmalloc threadign and overflow fix
- Randy Dunlap: USB updates (plusb driver). PCI cacheline size.
- Neil Brown: fix a raid1 on top of lvm bug that crept in in pre1
- Alan Cox: various (Athlon mmx copy, NULL ptr checks for
scsi_register etc).
- Al Viro: fix /proc permission check security hole.
- Can-Ru Yeou: SiS301 fbcon driver
- Andrew Morton: NMI oopser and kernel page fault punch through
both console_lock and timerlist_lock to make sure it prints out..
- Jeff Garzik: clean up "kmap()" return type (it returns a kernel
virtual address, ie a "void *").
- Jeff Garzik: network driver docs, various one-liners.
- David Miller: add generic "special" flag to page flags, to be
used by architectures as they see fit. Like keeping track of
cache coherency issues.
- David Miller: sparc64 updates, make sparc32 boot again
- Davdi Millner: spel "synchronous" correctly
- David Miller: networking - fix some bridge issues, and correct
IPv6 sysctl entries.
- Dan Aloni: make fork.c use proper macro rather than doing
get_exec_domain() by hand.

- pre1:
- me: make PCMCIA work even in the absense of PCI irq's
- me: add irq mapping capabilities for Cyrix southbridges
- me: make IBMMCA compile right as a module
- me: uhhuh. Major atomic-PTE SMP race boo-boo. Fixed.
- Andrea Arkangeli: don't allow people to set security-conscious
bits in mxcsr through ptrace SETFPXREGS.
- J?rgen Fischer: aha152x update
- Andrew Morton, Trond Myklebust: file locking fixes
- me: TLB invalidate race with highmem
- Paul Fulghum: synclink/n_hdlc driver updates
- David Miller: export sysctl_jiffies, and have the proper no-sysctl
version handy
- Neil Brown: RAID driver deadlock and nsfd read access to
execute-only files fix
- Keith Owens: clean up module information passing, remove
"get_module_symbol()".
- Jeff Garzik: network (and other) driver fixes and cleanups
- Andrea Arkangeli: scheduler cleanup.
- Ching-Ling Li: fix ALi sound driver memory leak
- Anton Altaparmakov: upcase fix for NTFS
- Thomas Woller: CS4281 audio update

2000-11-18 16:27:20

by Dave Jones

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> You can actually get them off kernel.org these days: Peter Anvin set up a
> system whereby when I upload a changelog it automatically gets added to
> the web-site (main page, bottom).

The same changelogs (plus archived earlier ones) are also available at
http://www.kernelnewbies.org/changelogs/
Shortly after Linus announces them.

It also holds archives of the 2.0 & 2.2 changelogs.

regards,

Davej.

--
| Dave Jones <[email protected]> http://www.suse.de/~davej
| SuSE Labs

2000-11-18 22:35:57

by bert hubert

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 07:48:35AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> You can actually get them off kernel.org these days: Peter Anvin set up a
> system whereby when I upload a changelog it automatically gets added to
> the web-site (main page, bottom).

I find that synchronous notification of new kernel prepatches leads to more
downloading and testing - perhaps Peter can script further and automate
announcements here?

Regards,

bert hubert

--