2000-11-28 17:43:29

by Petter Sundl?f

Subject: XFree 4.0.1/NVIDIA 0.9-5/2.4.0-testX/11 woes

Hi. I am unsure to whom this bug should be sent, so I'll send it here.

The problem manifests itself when I QUIT XFree86 (4.0.1, regular .1
release and CVS). What happens is that when I have quit X one or two
times, I start getting segfaults on practically everything (sometimes it
won't even catch CTRL+ALT+DELETE).
The above happens on -test7 and other test kernels (I believe I have
tried -test8, 9 and 10, but I am unsure), and another problem that has
only happened exclusively when using 2.4.0-test11 is that I have lost
TERMINFO and such (like when trying to run the editor "joe") beside the
segfaults.
I get the segfaults on -test11 as well, of course. This I also get on
both that I have tried: When I log out and try to log in again it says
"INIT: Id "cX" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."

The above does not happen with kernel 2.2.16, 2.2.17.

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce DDR, using the 0.9-5 release. For
-test11 I had to patch 0.9-5 (but this was only a very trivial patch, I
am told).

Observer that this only happens after I have quit X. Meanwhile X is
running I can compile much stuff simultaneously with a proble, re-login
again and again and so on and so forth. This of course also the case
before I have started X.

I have been told that there is no AGP driver in the 2.2.x kernel, and
that this might be a part of the problem? This is my hardware:

Motherboard with VIA KX133 chipset
Athlon K7 600
256 MB PC133 memory (256 MB swap)
NVIDIA GeForce DDR
Adaptec 2940 U2W/LVD
<Unknown> 18 GB LVD driver

My system software:

Slackware-current from a week or so ago.
Here is what ver_linux reports on 2.4.0-test11:

$ ./ver_linux
-- Versions installed: (if some fields are empty or looks
-- unusual then possibly you have very old versions)
Linux celibacy 2.4.0-test11 #1 Wed Nov 22 14:46:05 CET 2000 i686
unknown
Kernel modules 2.3.18
Gnu C egcs-2.91.66
Binutils 2.10.0.24
Linux C Library ..
Dynamic Linker (ld.so) 1.9.9
ls: /usr/lib/libg++.so: No such file or directory
Procps 2.0.7
Mount 2.10q
Net-tools (2000-05-21)
Kbd 0.99
Sh-utils 2.0
Sh-utils Parker.
Sh-utils
Sh-utils Inc.
Sh-utils NO
Sh-utils PURPOSE.

I hope this report is sufficient... if not, please let me know what is
lacking in it.

Best wishes, Petter Sundl?f

2000-11-28 17:50:39

by Alan

Subject: Re: XFree 4.0.1/NVIDIA 0.9-5/2.4.0-testX/11 woes

> My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce DDR, using the 0.9-5 release. For
> -test11 I had to patch 0.9-5 (but this was only a very trivial patch, I
> am told).

If you are using the nvidia kernel module you should tell nvidia. Nobody
else can help you since they obfuscated the code

2000-11-28 18:00:40

by Petter Sundl?f

I bought this card on the promise that there'd be open drivers.

Sigh.

I shall forward the bug report to NVIDIA.