2000-12-15 22:19:34

by Gunther.Mayer

Subject: lx240test12 hangs VAIO after "OK, booting the kernel"

Hi,
Linux-2.4.0-test12 doesn't boot on VAIO PCG-N505SN,
whereas linux-2.2.10 works fine (both booted by lilo-21).

It just hangs after printing:
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
HANG

Btw. Raw bzImage booted over USB-floppy just reboots...

Can this be infamous A20 again ?

Regards, Gunther

2000-12-16 11:40:38

by Gunther.Mayer

Subject: RESOLVED: lx240test12 hangs VAIO: P-III kernel hangs on P-II

Hi,
compiling the kernel for P-II resolved my problem.

What would be necessary to print an error message
instead of just hanging?

-
Gunther

Gunther Mayer wrote:

> Hi,
> Linux-2.4.0-test12 doesn't boot on VAIO PCG-N505SN,
> whereas linux-2.2.10 works fine (both booted by lilo-21).
>
> It just hangs after printing:
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> HANG
>
> Btw. Raw bzImage booted over USB-floppy just reboots...
>
> Can this be infamous A20 again ?
>
> Regards, Gunther
> -

by Arjan van de Ven

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> Hi,
> compiling the kernel for P-II resolved my problem.

> What would be necessary to print an error message
> instead of just hanging?

The bad news it that "printk" (the function that prints messages) also
goes wrong when the wrong type of CPU is detected....

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven