2001-02-13 09:20:10

by Tigran Aivazian

Subject: lost charaters -- this is becoming annoying!

Hi,

I amtyping this without correcting -- allthe lost characters you see
(including spaces!) are exactly what the pseudo-tty driver does! This is
2.4.1 a it definitely (oh, see "nd" of the ave "and" disappeared? and
"above" turned into "ave"!) did work fine previously -- like in the days
of 2.3.99 and 2.4.0-teX series (yes, teX was meant to be "testX"!)

So, the keyboard or pty driver is badly broken.

Regards,
Tigran

PS. This only happens on this Dell latitude CPx (notice lost shift in
Latitude?) H450GT.

PPS. No, my laptop is fine -- rebootingnto 2.2.x makes it type without
loosing characters...

2001-02-13 09:24:00

by Tigran Aivazian

Subject: Re: lost charaters -- this is becoming annoying!

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> PPS. No, my laptop is fine -- rebootingnto 2.2.x makes it type without
> loosing characters...

just to clarify -- it does _not_ add characters -- the "loosing" vs
"losing" thing is my own frequent typo :)

Tigran

2001-02-13 09:41:05

by Dave Gilbert (Home)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I amtyping this without correcting -- allthe lost characters you see
> (including spaces!) are exactly what the pseudo-tty driver does! This is
> 2.4.1 a it definitely (oh, see "nd" of the ave "and" disappeared? and
> "above" turned into "ave"!) did work fine previously -- like in the days
> of 2.3.99 and 2.4.0-teX series (yes, teX was meant to be "testX"!)
>
> So, the keyboard or pty driver is badly broken.

Hell I'm glad you said that - I thought I was going mad the other day when
I reported the missing return thing.
(On Linux/Alpha, 2.4.1-ac9, PS/2 keyboard)

Dave

| Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Work:[email protected] +44-161-286-2000 Ex258|
| -------- G7FHJ --------|---------------------------------------- |
| Home: [email protected] http://www.treblig.org |
\------------------------------------------------------------------/

2001-02-13 11:18:37

by Alan

> PS. This only happens on this Dell latitude CPx (notice lost shift in
> Latitude?) H450GT.
>
> PPS. No, my laptop is fine -- rebootingnto 2.2.x makes it type without
> loosing characters...

2.2 and 2.4 handle keyboard error cases quite differently (less so as of 2.2.18)
When you say 2.2.x works does that include 2.2.18.

The next stage then is probably to log when you see errored keyboard bytes

2001-02-13 11:37:39

by Tigran Aivazian

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > PS. This only happens on this Dell latitude CPx (notice lost shift in
> > Latitude?) H450GT.
> >
> > PPS. No, my laptop is fine -- rebootingnto 2.2.x makes it type without
> > loosing characters...
>
> 2.2 and 2.4 handle keyboard error cases quite differently (less so as of 2.2.18)
> When you say 2.2.x works does that include 2.2.18.

no, I meant the plain 2.2.x as of Red Hat 7.0 which is labelled as
"2.2.16-22".

> The next stage then is probably to log when you see errored keyboard bytes

ok.

Regards,
Tigran

2001-02-13 11:39:39

by Alan

> > When you say 2.2.x works does that include 2.2.18.
>
> no, I meant the plain 2.2.x as of Red Hat 7.0 which is labelled as
> "2.2.16-22".

Can you try 2.2.18/2.2.19pre. Those if my first guess is right will behave
like 2.4 does to you.

2001-02-13 11:40:39

by Tigran Aivazian

Hi Andrew,

Keyboard internal, but... you are right -- this _only_ happens when the
laptop is plugged into the docking station... that could be an extra clue
(i.e. two PS/2 controllers simultaneously -- maybe the docking station one
needs to be somehow explicitly disabled).

How come I can't tell? Because when I type on the console it seems to be
ok, i.e. it is probably _not_ a keyboard driver. On the other hand, on the
laptop I don't type that much on the console and spend all the time in
X in xterm. That is why I am not certain what exactly is broken.

I do not have ACPI enabled, nor APM in the kernel.

Regards,
Tigran

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Hi, Tigran.
>
> Internal keyboard, or external?
>
> Does it happen on the console or just in X? (How come you can't
> tell whether it's the k/b driver or the PTY driver?)
>
> Tried disabling ACPI?
>
> Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I amtyping this without correcting -- allthe lost characters you see
> > (including spaces!) are exactly what the pseudo-tty driver does! This is
> > 2.4.1 a it definitely (oh, see "nd" of the ave "and" disappeared? and
> > "above" turned into "ave"!) did work fine previously -- like in the days
> > of 2.3.99 and 2.4.0-teX series (yes, teX was meant to be "testX"!)
> >
> > So, the keyboard or pty driver is badly broken.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tigran
> >
> > PS. This only happens on this Dell latitude CPx (notice lost shift in
> > Latitude?) H450GT.
> >
> > PPS. No, my laptop is fine -- rebootingnto 2.2.x makes it type without
> > loosing characters...
> >
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

by Tigran Aivazian

Ok, I decided to write this email inine on the console and... see? the
"inine" was supped to be "in pine" (not to mention the "supped" :)

Yes, I do lose characters when working in pine on the console!

So, it is not X-specific.

Now, what I was going to write this email about was -- I get the same
effect licq (just lost "in" before licq!) so it is not xterm-specific but
probably that is not importt anymore (just lost "an" in
"important").. (lost a . in "..." :)

Tgran (unbelievable -- it doesn't even let me spell my own name
correctly!)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Keyboard internal, but... you are right -- this _only_ happens when the
> laptop is plugged into the docking station... that could be an extra clue
> (i.e. two PS/2 controllers simultaneously -- maybe the docking station one
> needs to be somehow explicitly disabled).
>
> How come I can't tell? Because when I type on the console it seems to be
> ok, i.e. it is probably _not_ a keyboard driver. On the other hand, on the
> laptop I don't type that much on the console and spend all the time in
> X in xterm. That is why I am not certain what exactly is broken.
>
> I do not have ACPI enabled, nor APM in the kernel.
>
> Regards,
> Tigran
>
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > Hi, Tigran.
> >
> > Internal keyboard, or external?
> >
> > Does it happen on the console or just in X? (How come you can't
> > tell whether it's the k/b driver or the PTY driver?)
> >
> > Tried disabling ACPI?
> >
> > Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I amtyping this without correcting -- allthe lost characters you see
> > > (including spaces!) are exactly what the pseudo-tty driver does! This is
> > > 2.4.1 a it definitely (oh, see "nd" of the ave "and" disappeared? and
> > > "above" turned into "ave"!) did work fine previously -- like in the days
> > > of 2.3.99 and 2.4.0-teX series (yes, teX was meant to be "testX"!)
> > >
> > > So, the keyboard or pty driver is badly broken.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tigran
> > >
> > > PS. This only happens on this Dell latitude CPx (notice lost shift in
> > > Latitude?) H450GT.
> > >
> > > PPS. No, my laptop is fine -- rebootingnto 2.2.x makes it type without
> > > loosing characters...
> > >
> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > > the body of a message to [email protected]
> > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2001-02-13 12:05:48

by Andrew Morton

Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Ok, I decided to write this email inine on the console and... see? the
> "inine" was supped to be "in pine" (not to mention the "supped" :)

Well, an external keyboard in a Dell Latitude works just fine here.
Perhaps you should remove it from the docking station and test
with an external keyboard?

Or maybe it's just that chainsaw accident you had - have you tried
counting to ten lately?

-

2001-02-13 12:30:46

by Tigran Aivazian

Hi Alan,

I am now running 2.2.19-pre9 and it is working fine. Also, just in case, I
retyped this same message in pine in xterm and on the console. No
character loss whatsoever. Also, licq stopped losing characters as well.

I will continue using 2.2.19-pre9 until the evening and report anything
suspicious.

Regards,
Tigran

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > When you say 2.2.x works does that include 2.2.18.
> >
> > no, I meant the plain 2.2.x as of Red Hat 7.0 which is labelled as
> > "2.2.16-22".
>
> Can you try 2.2.18/2.2.19pre. Those if my first guess is right will behave
> like 2.4 does to you.

2001-02-13 12:41:31

by Tigran Aivazian

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Well, an external keyboard in a Dell Latitude works just fine here.
> Perhaps you should remove it from the docking station and test
> with an external keyboard?

yes, I can try that. In the meantime you can see for yourself -- just plug
into the docking station and stop using external keyboard (you must have
lots of spare space on your desk -- I am not so tidy to allow so much
wasted space to be wasted by such insignificant item as keyboard :)

> Or maybe it's just that chainsaw accident you had - have you tried
> counting to ten lately?

yes, my fingers are okay -- I frequently check the mapping between the
items in Exodus 20 and the fingers to make sure I still have the right
number (of both).

Regards,
Tigran

2001-02-14 00:06:25

by Ulf Carlsson

Hi Tigran,

> PS. This only happens on this Dell latitude CPx (notice lost shift in
> Latitude?) H450GT.

I have a Dell Latitude CPx as well and I keep losing caps lock
keypresses. I'm running a 2.2.18 kernel. It's very annoying since I
have control mapped to caps lock.

I suspected that my keyboard was crappy. Maybe not?

Ulf