2001-02-19 23:54:10

by Dieter Nützel

Subject: pmap.c : Can you please try another name for it?

Hello Rik,

there is a nice little toy called "pmap.c" around for several years, now.
Should we consider?

/*
* pmap.c: implementation of something like Solaris' /usr/proc/bin/pmap
* for linux
*
* Author: Andy Isaacson <[email protected]>
* Fri Jun 18 1999
*
* Updated Mon Oct 25 1999
* - calculate total size of shared mappings
* - change output format to read "writable/private" rather than "writable"
*
* Justification: the formatting available in /proc/<pid>/maps is less
* than optimal. It's hard to figure out the size of a mapping from
* that information (unless you can do 8-digit hex arithmetic in your
* head) and it's just generally not friendly. Hence this utility.
*
* I hereby place this work in the public domain.
*
* Compile with something along the lines of
* gcc -O pmap.c -o pmap
*/

Regards,
Dieter
--
Dieter N?tzel
Graduate Student, Computer Science

University of Hamburg
Department of Computer Science
Cognitive Systems Group
Vogt-K?lln-Stra?e 30
D-22527 Hamburg, Germany

email: [email protected]
@home: [email protected]

2001-02-19 23:59:21

by Albert D. Cahalan

Subject: Re: pmap.c : Can you please try another name for it?

Dieter =?iso-8859- writes:

> Hello Rik,
>
> there is a nice little toy called "pmap.c" around for several years, now.
> Should we consider?
>
> /*
> * pmap.c: implementation of something like Solaris' /usr/proc/bin/pmap
> * for linux

I've been planning to implement that tool for procps. So, one way
or another, it will be common on Linux systems. Where might I find
the code you quoted from?

2001-02-20 00:05:53

by Jeremy Jackson

Dieter N?tzel wrote:

> * Justification: the formatting available in /proc/<pid>/maps is less
> * than optimal. It's hard to figure out the size of a mapping from
> * that information (unless you can do 8-digit hex arithmetic in your
> * head) and it's just generally not friendly. Hence this utility.

you may want to check sourceforge for xmlprocfs too.

2001-02-20 00:26:58

by Andy Isaacson

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 06:58:45PM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Dieter =?iso-8859- writes:
> > /*
> > * pmap.c: implementation of something like Solaris' /usr/proc/bin/pmap
> > * for linux
>
> I've been planning to implement that tool for procps. So, one way
> or another, it will be common on Linux systems. Where might I find
> the code you quoted from?

[Thanks for the CC, Dieter.]

My public domain pmap implementation has a new home at
http://web.hexapodia.org/~adi/pmap.c

-andy

2001-02-20 15:25:13

by Rik van Riel

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Dieter N?tzel wrote:

> there is a nice little toy called "pmap.c" around for several
> years, now. Should we consider?

Unix has this thing called "directories", which make it possible
for you to have multiple files with the same name on your disk.

AFAIK the name "pmap" has been in use for the mapping of memory
since before RCP-style networking has come into fashion and it never
seems to have caused any confusion.

regards,

Rik
--