2001-02-27 06:38:11

by Mack Stevenson

Subject: ISO-8859-1 completeness of kernel fonts?

Hello,

The 8x16 and Sun 12x22 kernel fonts I tried seem to lack some standard
glyphs necessary to represent the entire ISO-8859-1 charmap; I am talking
about all accented capital vowels except for '?'.

This seems to happen in both 2.2.16 as well as in 2.2.18.

Is this intentional? If so, why?

How can I override this behaviour?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Mack Stevenson

by H. Peter Anvin

By author: "Mack Stevenson" <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Hello,
>
> The 8x16 and Sun 12x22 kernel fonts I tried seem to lack some standard
> glyphs necessary to represent the entire ISO-8859-1 charmap; I am talking
> about all accented capital vowels except for '?'.
>
> This seems to happen in both 2.2.16 as well as in 2.2.18.
>
> Is this intentional? If so, why?
>
> How can I override this behaviour?

They're probably CP 437 fonts. Just load your own; e.g. "setfont lat1u-16".

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt

2001-02-27 13:41:59

by Mack Stevenson

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

> > The 8x16 and Sun 12x22 kernel fonts I tried seem to lack some standard
> > glyphs necessary to represent the entire ISO-8859-1 charmap; I am
>talking
> > about all accented capital vowels except for '?'.
> >
> > This seems to happen in both 2.2.16 as well as in 2.2.18.
> >
> > Is this intentional? If so, why?
> >
> > How can I override this behaviour?
> >

>They're probably CP 437 fonts. Just load your own; e.g. "setfont
>lat1u-16".

I know that, but unfortunately all the fonts I found for use with the kbd
and console-tools packages are much smaller than 12x22, making them hardly
legible (to me) on high dpi screens: that's why I even tried the ones in the
kernel. :-)

[Is there any easy way for you to create larger console fonts out of the
8x16 Latin* ones you already wrote?]

"setfont -h22 [font]" doesn't work, too.

Anyway, I have already pinned down the source file (in 2.2.18) -
drivers/video/font_sun12x22.c - and would like to try to change this. Yet it
seems like the kernel boots using the CP437 charmap, so this would need to
be modified, too - I suppose that the relevant file is
drivers/char/consolemap.c.

- How can I instruct the kernel to use the ISO-8859-1 character map?
drivers/char/consolemap.c contains three different translation tables -
CP437, ISO-8859-1 and VT100 mapped to Unicode -; how can I choose one of
them?

- Or shouldn't I even bother about this since in the ASCII range CP437 and
ISO-8859-1 map to the same characters? May I just boot the kernel using an
unmatched pair of (CP437) charmap and (ISO-8859-1) font, feeling at ease
because the kernel won't try to print any non-ASCII characters, and only
later, in userspace, call loadunimap?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you,

Mack

by H. Peter Anvin

Mack Stevenson wrote:

> Anyway, I have already pinned down the source file (in 2.2.18) -
> drivers/video/font_sun12x22.c - and would like to try to change this. Yet it
> seems like the kernel boots using the CP437 charmap, so this would need to
> be modified, too - I suppose that the relevant file is
> drivers/char/consolemap.c.
>
> - How can I instruct the kernel to use the ISO-8859-1 character map?
> drivers/char/consolemap.c contains three different translation tables -
> CP437, ISO-8859-1 and VT100 mapped to Unicode -; how can I choose one of
> them?
>
> - Or shouldn't I even bother about this since in the ASCII range CP437 and
> ISO-8859-1 map to the same characters? May I just boot the kernel using an
> unmatched pair of (CP437) charmap and (ISO-8859-1) font, feeling at ease
> because the kernel won't try to print any non-ASCII characters, and only
> later, in userspace, call loadunimap?
>
> Am I understanding this correctly?

Not really.

You're much better off designing a larger ISO-8859-1 font and load in in
user space. You can use the 12x22 font in the kernel as a base.

-hpa

--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt

2001-02-27 18:43:30

by mirabilos

> Hello,
>
> The 8x16 and Sun 12x22 kernel fonts I tried seem to lack some standard
> glyphs necessary to represent the entire ISO-8859-1 charmap; I am talking
> about all accented capital vowels except for 'I'.
>
> This seems to happen in both 2.2.16 as well as in 2.2.18.
>
> Is this intentional? If so, why?
>
> How can I override this behaviour?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mack Stevenson

I have converted my fonts by hand (with a GW-BASIC proggy) from bitmap
to .c, though not the SUN fonts for ISO but the PC fonts for cp437.
I did this because I do not like e.g. the glyph "0" in standard font
and included the "Euro" sign. (I use the same for DOS and Linux now,
and even Windoze recently got it as Terminal font!)

My second suggestion: code it as .psfu and load it by setfont, including
the appropiate console-map. AFAIK all the kernel default fonts are cp437
(linux/drivers/char/cp437.uni; consolemap.*)

-mirabilos

2001-02-27 19:49:51

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: "Thorsten Glaser Geuer" <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> My second suggestion: code it as .psfu and load it by setfont, including
> the appropiate console-map. AFAIK all the kernel default fonts are cp437
> (linux/drivers/char/cp437.uni; consolemap.*)

Something that would be really good is if someone could contribute PSF
(v1 and v2) support for gfe <http://www.gnu.org/software/gfe/gfe.html>
or some other free font editor.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt

2001-02-27 19:59:01

by Guest section DW

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:37:55AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> You're much better off designing a larger ISO-8859-1 font and load in in
> user space. You can use the 12x22 font in the kernel as a base.

kbd-1.05 comes with sun12x22.psfu, which essentially is the kernel font
together with a unimap.

Andries

2001-02-27 20:06:42

by mirabilos