2001-02-27 18:55:10

by Thomas Lau

Subject: Wine + kernel ?? How to do that?

hey, I hear that wine ( windows emulator ) can port into kernel and make
it running faster, How can I do it?
or anyone can make a patch to add wine code into kernel?
waiting for answer, Thanks

2001-02-27 23:03:45

by Dan Kegel

Subject: Re: Wine + kernel ?? How to do that?

[email protected] asked:
> hey, I hear that wine ( windows emulator ) can port into kernel and make
> it running faster, How can I do it?
> or anyone can make a patch to add wine code into kernel?
> waiting for answer, Thanks

It's not ready for prime time yet.

There is some discussion of the issues at

- Dan

2001-02-28 08:32:59

by David Howells

[email protected] wrote:
> hey, I hear that wine ( windows emulator ) can port into kernel and make
> it running faster, How can I do it?
> or anyone can make a patch to add wine code into kernel?
> waiting for answer, Thanks

I've been writing one to provide all the Windows kernel objects in Linux
kernel space (the speed up appears as though it should be impressive). It is,
however, not entirely complete yet. You can grab a copy by CVS from the wine
repository:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected]:/home/wine
cvs login
(the password is cvs)
cvs -z3 checkout kernel-win32

Or you can browse it:

http://cvs.winehq.com/cvsweb/kernel-win32/

The numbers are looking good: the system call latency appears to be about half
that of Win2000 on the same box! (however, use this number with caution).

David