2001-03-04 16:44:24

by Miles Lane

Subject: Linux on the Unisys ES7000 and CMP2 machines?

http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_0-1003-200-5007472.html

Hi,

I noticed that this article mentions that Unisys has
no plans to port Linux to it's "cellular multiprocessor"
machines. So, I am wondering if anyone is working
on this independantly.

These systems seems to be selling well with Microsoft's
Windoze 2000 Datacenter installed.

Miles

2001-03-04 16:52:45

by David Weinehall

Subject: Re: Linux on the Unisys ES7000 and CMP2 machines?

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 08:45:43AM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_0-1003-200-5007472.html
>

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that this article mentions that Unisys has
> no plans to port Linux to it's "cellular multiprocessor"
> machines. So, I am wondering if anyone is working
> on this independantly.
>
> These systems seems to be selling well with Microsoft's
> Windoze 2000 Datacenter installed.

Well, I bet that someone on this list would be happy to do a port
if you just sponsor with one or two of these machines... :^)

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2001-03-04 20:45:17

by J Sloan

Miles Lane wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_0-1003-200-5007472.html
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that this article mentions that Unisys has
> no plans to port Linux to it's "cellular multiprocessor"
> machines. So, I am wondering if anyone is working
> on this independantly.
>
> These systems seems to be selling well with Microsoft's
> Windoze 2000 Datacenter installed.

My take on it is that unisys is an example of brain damage
and it's easiest to ignore/work around them rather than
trying to get them out of bed with microsoft. Nature will
eventually take it's course with unisys as it did with Dec.

jjs

2001-03-05 00:09:53

by Gerhard Mack

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, J Sloan wrote:

> Miles Lane wrote:
>
> > http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_0-1003-200-5007472.html
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed that this article mentions that Unisys has
> > no plans to port Linux to it's "cellular multiprocessor"
> > machines. So, I am wondering if anyone is working
> > on this independantly.
> >
> > These systems seems to be selling well with Microsoft's
> > Windoze 2000 Datacenter installed.
>
> My take on it is that unisys is an example of brain damage
> and it's easiest to ignore/work around them rather than
> trying to get them out of bed with microsoft. Nature will
> eventually take it's course with unisys as it did with Dec.

Given Unisys' reputation you would think compaq and HP would leave
them alone to avoid being dirtied.

I think after the gif fiasco most people on the net hate that company.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack

[email protected]

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

2001-03-05 06:52:07

by jdow

From: "J Sloan" <[email protected]>

> My take on it is that unisys is an example of brain damage
> and it's easiest to ignore/work around them rather than
> trying to get them out of bed with microsoft. Nature will
> eventually take it's course with unisys as it did with Dec.

jjs, you can take that to the bank as collateral. Alas, my partner
has been with them since Burroughs days as an undegreed OS developer.
Finding the same level of pay in the "sane world" is proving rather
annoyingly difficult here in the San Berdoo County area. So he is
riding it out till he can retire. {o.o}

{^_^} Joanne Dow, [email protected]

2001-03-05 06:51:57

by jdow

From: "Miles Lane" <[email protected]>

> I noticed that this article mentions that Unisys has
> no plans to port Linux to it's "cellular multiprocessor"
> machines. So, I am wondering if anyone is working
> on this independantly.

Miles, if these babies are the 32 processor monsters that UniSys
has been making recently there IS interest to get Linux on it.
But the people I know who have mentioned "interest", mostly from
a curiosity standpoint, have their hands neatly tied by Microsoft.
Ya see, the developers at UniSys have NT source licenses so they
can develop the HALs for the monsters. Microsoft insists that they
spend a considerable time away from OS development before working
on another OS. So, no Linux port is in the offing, I suspect. The
people who KNOW the machine are not allowed to do it. And I can
guarantee you that the machines are not well documented at the
level a person making an NT port would need. (As an aside it seems
the UniSys guys know more about how to debug HALs without fancy
ICEs than the MS guys. At least the amount of travel between
Mission Viyoyo and Redmond suggests it.)

{^_^} Joanne "Too many years in a DoD environment" Dow, who has
put a whole string of two's together to figure out the
above from clues laid by her HAL developer partner.

by Dan Kegel

jdow wrote:
> Miles, if these babies are the 32 processor monsters that UniSys
> has been making recently there IS interest to get Linux on it.
> But the people I know who have mentioned "interest", mostly from
> a curiosity standpoint, have their hands neatly tied by Microsoft.
> Ya see, the developers at UniSys have NT source licenses so they
> can develop the HALs for the monsters. Microsoft insists that they
> spend a considerable time away from OS development before working
> on another OS. So, no Linux port is in the offing, I suspect. The
> people who KNOW the machine are not allowed to do it.

I just saw one of these 32 processor machines at Internet World,
and the engineer said that AIX and the successor to SCO Unix would
also run on the machine. Perhaps the engineers doing the AIX port
are under less restrictive terms.

(When the two people he was talking to asked about Linux on the machine,
he said "We feel Linux can't do enterprise-level stuff like this."
He got a little defensive when we questioned his judgement.)

- Dan

2001-03-15 12:56:44

by Rik van Riel

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Dan Kegel wrote:

> (When the two people he was talking to asked about Linux on the
> machine, he said "We feel Linux can't do enterprise-level stuff like
> this." He got a little defensive when we questioned his judgement.)

Heh. If Linux 2.2 was his only experience with the system I
could actually understand his opinion. Good thing that the
core parts of the kernel have gotten somewhat more robust
with 2.4 ...

Too bad there probably won't be anyone giving away (or loaning
out) such machines for test machines to port Linux to ;))

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/