2001-03-20 00:37:25

by Ben Ford

Subject: [Fwd: Problem with file => 2GB]

This is forwarded from the [email protected] mailing list. I think you
guys can answer this question better. Please cc: them in any replies.

-b

"Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)" wrote:

> Hi ppl,
> i'm currently involved in the analisys of a compromised linux box.
> It was a IBM xSeries server.
>
> I transfer the partition of the server using cat /dev/partition| nc
> host_of_dump_storage 8889, then i check the checksum using md5sum and all it's
> ok.
>
> Where's the problem?
>
> There are 2 partition dump of 8GB .
> So i have to mount another 30GB hd, i installed Linux Kernel 2.4.2 with the
> 30gb on reiserfs .
> I recompiled all fileutils, util-linux and bin-utils with kernel 2.4.2 and the
> define for => 2GB file support .
>
> Ok, now i could download the partition, i could ls, more, strings the
> partition, but i need to use it as loop device!!
>
> When i mount the partition as loop device the mount command HANG on read()
> function... it seems that loop device under linux didn't work against => 2gb
> files ?
>
> Any solutions?
>
> Best Regards
>
> --
> Pietrosanti Fabio I.NET SpA, High Quality Access to the Internet
> e-mail: [email protected] ( Direzione Tecnica, Security Staff )
> [email protected]
> PGP Key (DSS) http://naif.itapac.net/naif.asc
>
> Home Page URL: http://www.inet.it
> Sede: Via Darwin, 85 20019 Settimo Milanese (MI)
> Tel: 02-328631 Fax: 02-328637701
> --
> Free advertising: http://www.openbsd.org - Multiplatform Ultra-secure OS

2001-03-20 01:39:09

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Problem with file => 2GB]

"Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)" wrote:
> > i'm currently involved in the analisys of a compromised linux box.
> > It was a IBM xSeries server.
> >
> > I transfer the partition of the server using cat /dev/partition| nc
> > host_of_dump_storage 8889, then i check the checksum using md5sum and
> > all it's ok.
> >
> > There are 2 partition dump of 8GB .
> > So i have to mount another 30GB hd, i installed Linux Kernel 2.4.2 with
> > the 30gb on reiserfs .
> > I recompiled all fileutils, util-linux and bin-utils with kernel 2.4.2
> > and the define for => 2GB file support .
> >
> > Ok, now i could download the partition, i could ls, more, strings the
> > partition, but i need to use it as loop device!!
> >
> > When i mount the partition as loop device the mount command HANG on read()
> > function... it seems that loop device under linux didn't work against => 2gb
> > files ?

There is a bug in 2.4.2 with the loop device, which is fixed in -ac series.
Also, I don't think it is possible to use > 2GB for loop (or at least that
used to be the case).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"

2001-03-20 07:35:24

by J Sloan

Andreas Dilger wrote:

> There is a bug in 2.4.2 with the loop device, which is fixed in -ac series.

Also fixed in 2.4.3-pre series.

cu

Jup