2001-03-21 04:17:20

by hingwah

Subject: Hang when using loop device

Hello all,

Recently my ext2 partition out of space so I have made a regular file
in the FAT32 partition and format it as ext2 partiton and mount it as
loop device.However,occasionaly when I extract a large tar to the loop device..
The computer will hang while extracting. I wonder if deadlock occur.
I'm using kernel 2.4.1 now and there is no problem when I am using
kernel 2.2.x kernel

2001-03-21 06:30:36

by agrawal

Subject: Re: Hang when using loop device

> Hello all,
>
> Recently my ext2 partition out of space so I have made a regular file
> in the FAT32 partition and format it as ext2 partiton and mount it as
> loop device.However,occasionaly when I extract a large tar to the loop device..
> The computer will hang while extracting. I wonder if deadlock occur.
> I'm using kernel 2.4.1 now and there is no problem when I am using
> kernel 2.2.x kernel

There are known problems with some of the 2.4 series kernels and loopback
device support. Look through the kernel archives for Jens Axboe's patches,
or grab one of the latest ac (Alan Cox) kernels.

2001-03-21 06:43:37

by Ville Herva

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 12:16:05PM +0800, you [[email protected]] claimed:
> Hello all,
>
> Recently my ext2 partition out of space so I have made a regular file
> in the FAT32 partition and format it as ext2 partiton and mount it as
> loop device.However,occasionaly when I extract a large tar to the loop device..
> The computer will hang while extracting. I wonder if deadlock occur.
> I'm using kernel 2.4.1 now and there is no problem when I am using
> kernel 2.2.x kernel

Jens Axboe fixed this. The fix is merged in 2.4.2ac20 and 2.4.3pre6. The fix
will be in 2.4.3. Please search the mailing list archive before asking...

-- v --

by J Sloan

[email protected] wrote:

> > Hello all,
> >
> > Recently my ext2 partition out of space so I have made a regular file
> > in the FAT32 partition and format it as ext2 partiton and mount it as
> > loop device.However,occasionaly when I extract a large tar to the loop device..
> > The computer will hang while extracting. I wonder if deadlock occur.
> > I'm using kernel 2.4.1 now and there is no problem when I am using
> > kernel 2.2.x kernel
>
> There are known problems with some of the 2.4 series kernels and loopback
> device support. Look through the kernel archives for Jens Axboe's patches,
> or grab one of the latest ac (Alan Cox) kernels.

The fix is also in the 2.4.3-pre series -

cu

Jup