2001-03-22 03:09:55

by Brent D. Norris

Subject: Sound issues with m805lr motheboard

My LUG has had a machine donated with a PC Chips M805LR Motherboard (info
here http://www.eurocomla.com/m805lr.htm) I have to get it working to
stream our meetings with realserver. as such I cannot use the new 2.4
kernels with it since Realserver won't work with them. I am having
trouble with the kernel drivers for its onboard sound card. I have
compiled the driver for the VIA 82C686 and I can get sound, but it will
not recognize the line-in port. If I use a 2.4 kernel on the machine then
it works fine, but I can't run the realserver with it. Is this a known
issue with the VIA drivers in the 2.2.xx (i am using 2.2.18)? if so is
there a work around for it? Any info would be helpful.
thanks,
Brent Norris

System Admin - WKU-Center for BioDiversity (4)
WKU-Linux (3)
Best Mechanical (3)

2001-03-22 12:08:02

by Alan

Subject: Re: Sound issues with m805lr motheboard

> here http://www.eurocomla.com/m805lr.htm) I have to get it working to
> stream our meetings with realserver. as such I cannot use the new 2.4
> kernels with it since Realserver won't work with them. I am having

That seems strange. What is realserver failing with ?

2001-03-22 13:44:08

by Brent D. Norris

> That seems strange. What is realserver failing with ?

It isn't so much failing as it hangs. I don't know if you have used it
or not. On a startup of the realserver under a 2.2 kernel here is the
output:
RealServer (c) 1995-2000 RealNetworks, Inc. All rights reserved.
Version: RealServer 8 (8.0.0.149)
Platform: linux-2.0-libc6-i386

Creating Server Space...
Calibrating Timers...
Starting RealServer 8.0 Core...

Detecting Number of CPUs...
Testing 1 CPU(s): 1 CPU Detected, Phew...
Testing 2 CPU(s): 2 CPUs Not Detected (96% Work Produced)
Testing File Descriptors...
Setting per-process descriptor capacity to 676(1010), 11...

it then goes on to load libs and stuff. Under a 2.4 kernel it gets to the

"Testing 1 CPU(s)" Line and just stops there and sits. I have tried it on
3 different machines and 5 different installs, all with the same results.

Brent Norris

2001-03-22 18:08:17

by J Sloan

"Brent D. Norris" wrote:

> > That seems strange. What is realserver failing with ?
>
> It isn't so much failing as it hangs.

It might be interesting to strace the realserver startup
both under 2.2 and 2.4 -

cu

Jup

2001-03-23 01:11:39

by Brent D. Norris

> It might be interesting to strace the realserver startup
> both under 2.2 and 2.4 -

Here you go. Also sorry Alan for such a goofy email earlier. Does anyone
have any ideas on the sound driver issue?

Brent Norris

Attachments:
strace-2.4 (7.79 kB)
strace-2.2 (9.12 kB)