2001-03-26 17:18:53

by Zephaniah E. Hull

Subject: Lovely crash with 2.4.2-ac24.

This had hit me a few times with ac18 (I'm not sure it was the same
crash though) and just hit me again with ac24.

Alan cced due to it being in the ac kernels, Andre because the trace
seems to point to the IDE code.

Thanks.

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <[email protected]>-GPG E65A7801
Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.

<cas> Mercury: gpm isn't a very good web browser. fix it.

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Andre Hedrick

Subject: Re: Lovely crash with 2.4.2-ac24.

Zephaniah,

Does this happen in a non-ac kernel?
I have not updated code since around 2.4.0, but other have.
You point ot a few times w/ ac18, but is there one before that which does
not cause this to happen?

The question is to gain isolation of the changes.

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:

> This had hit me a few times with ac18 (I'm not sure it was the same
> crash though) and just hit me again with ac24.
>
> Alan cced due to it being in the ac kernels, Andre because the trace
> seems to point to the IDE code.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Zephaniah E. Hull.
>
> --
> PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <[email protected]>-GPG E65A7801
> Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.
>
> <cas> Mercury: gpm isn't a very good web browser. fix it.

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development
ASL Kernel Development
ASL, Inc. Toll free: 1-877-ASL-3535
1757 Houret Court Fax: 1-408-941-2071
Milpitas, CA 95035 Web: http://www.aslab.com

2001-03-26 18:32:43

by Andre Hedrick

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 09:46:54AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> >
> > Zephaniah,
> >
> > Does this happen in a non-ac kernel?
> > I have not updated code since around 2.4.0, but other have.
> > You point ot a few times w/ ac18, but is there one before that which does
> > not cause this to happen?
> >
> > The question is to gain isolation of the changes.
>
> I'm not sure, I did not see it on 2.4.2-ac18 until I started doing a lot
> of X compiling, but I can't reproduce at will which makes this a little
> harder.
>
> I could try 2.4.2 the current 2.4.3-pre kernels from Linus if that would
> help? (Though, as I said, it seems to happen semi-randomly, though more
> when there is heavy disk activity.)

But hardware class and vender?

> Zephaniah E. Hull.
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> >
> > > This had hit me a few times with ac18 (I'm not sure it was the same
> > > crash though) and just hit me again with ac24.
> > >
> > > Alan cced due to it being in the ac kernels, Andre because the trace
> > > seems to point to the IDE code.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Zephaniah E. Hull.
> > >
> > > --
> > > PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <[email protected]>-GPG E65A7801
> > > Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.
> > >
> > > <cas> Mercury: gpm isn't a very good web browser. fix it.
> > >

> > Andre Hedrick
> > Linux ATA Development
> > ASL Kernel Development
> > ASL, Inc. Toll free: 1-877-ASL-3535
> > 1757 Houret Court Fax: 1-408-941-2071
> > Milpitas, CA 95035 Web: http://www.aslab.com
> >

> --
> PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <[email protected]>-GPG E65A7801
> Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.
>
> "Delivery anywhere in the world within thirty minutes or the second one's
> free." - "pizza box" art atop a Minuteman ICBM silo, Paul A. Suhler, RHF

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development
ASL Kernel Development
ASL, Inc. Toll free: 1-877-ASL-3535
1757 Houret Court Fax: 1-408-941-2071
Milpitas, CA 95035 Web: http://www.aslab.com

2001-03-26 18:29:33

by Zephaniah E. Hull

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 09:46:54AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Zephaniah,
>
> Does this happen in a non-ac kernel?
> I have not updated code since around 2.4.0, but other have.
> You point ot a few times w/ ac18, but is there one before that which does
> not cause this to happen?
>
> The question is to gain isolation of the changes.

I'm not sure, I did not see it on 2.4.2-ac18 until I started doing a lot
of X compiling, but I can't reproduce at will which makes this a little
harder.

I could try 2.4.2 the current 2.4.3-pre kernels from Linus if that would
help? (Though, as I said, it seems to happen semi-randomly, though more
when there is heavy disk activity.)

Zephaniah E. Hull.

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
>
> > This had hit me a few times with ac18 (I'm not sure it was the same
> > crash though) and just hit me again with ac24.
> >
> > Alan cced due to it being in the ac kernels, Andre because the trace
> > seems to point to the IDE code.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Zephaniah E. Hull.
> >
> > --
> > PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <[email protected]>-GPG E65A7801
> > Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.
> >
> > <cas> Mercury: gpm isn't a very good web browser. fix it.
> >

> Andre Hedrick
> Linux ATA Development
> ASL Kernel Development
> ASL, Inc. Toll free: 1-877-ASL-3535
> 1757 Houret Court Fax: 1-408-941-2071
> Milpitas, CA 95035 Web: http://www.aslab.com

--
PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <[email protected]>-GPG E65A7801
Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.

"Delivery anywhere in the world within thirty minutes or the second one's
free." - "pizza box" art atop a Minuteman ICBM silo, Paul A. Suhler, RHF

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.00 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Zephaniah E. Hull

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:31:17AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 09:46:54AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> > >
> > > Zephaniah,
> > >
> > > Does this happen in a non-ac kernel?
> > > I have not updated code since around 2.4.0, but other have.
> > > You point ot a few times w/ ac18, but is there one before that which does
> > > not cause this to happen?
> > >
> > > The question is to gain isolation of the changes.
> >
> > I'm not sure, I did not see it on 2.4.2-ac18 until I started doing a lot
> > of X compiling, but I can't reproduce at will which makes this a little
> > harder.
> >
> > I could try 2.4.2 the current 2.4.3-pre kernels from Linus if that would
> > help? (Though, as I said, it seems to happen semi-randomly, though more
> > when there is heavy disk activity.)
>
> But hardware class and vender?

K6-2 500, the MB is a Super 7, Tyan S1590S-100.

It is a VIA Apollo 3 (MVP3) AGPset chipset, only goes up to DMA/33.

The drive is a 10G Western Digital, output from the kernel on boot up below.

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: VIA vt82c586b (rev 47) IDE UDMA33 controller on pci00:07.1
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
hda: WDC WD102AA, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: 20044080 sectors (10263 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=1247/255/63, UDMA(33)

If I've left anything out just ask.

Zephaniah E. Hull.

<snip>

> Andre Hedrick
> Linux ATA Development
> ASL Kernel Development
> ASL, Inc. Toll free: 1-877-ASL-3535
> 1757 Houret Court Fax: 1-408-941-2071
> Milpitas, CA 95035 Web: http://www.aslab.com

--
PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <[email protected]>-GPG E65A7801
Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.

Having been the victim of forgeries myself, I sympathise. I've still got
my nutcraker handy for the day I identify and catch the scum...
-- Richard Gooch on l-k.

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.44 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Andrew Morton

"Zephaniah E. Hull" wrote:

> [-ac24 crash]

Guys, this is related to the tty hangup code calling the
console code in interrupt context. Fixed in -ac25. The
IDE connection is just stack fluff.