2001-04-02 09:46:47

by German Gomez Garcia

Subject: Strange problems with 2.4.3.

Hello,

After upgrading to 2.4.3 from the AC series I've found several
problems, first that as several people already reported the tmpfs/shmfs
problem. Also AIC7890 and aicasm problems with db (what about an option in
configure to let people specify the version of db they have? I'm using
db-3 and need to include db_185.h and link with -ldb-3). Those problems
are easy fixed, but I found also the following:

Everytime I transmit or received anything through my 3com 3c905b
ethernet card I get:

eth1: transmit timed out, tx_status 82 status e605.
diagnostics: net 04d8 media 8880 dma 000000ba.
eth1: Interrupt posted but not delivered IRQ blocked by another device?

I have the following:

eth1: 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xec00, 00:10:5a:48:e6:38, IRQ15
product code 5150 rev 00.12 date 09-18-98
8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/Autonegotiate interface.
MII transceiver found at address 24, status 786d.
Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

And finally after some time up the system just hangs up, the time
is between 5 and 12 hours. No console activity, no SysRQ, nothing on the
logs, just hanged up.

I'm using 2.4.3 on a Dual PII450 Supermicro P6DBU. And the
2.4.2-ac20 was rock solid (8 days up under heavy loading with no problems,
since then I'm having some minor problems with every kernel).

Regards,

- german

PS: Please CC to me as I'm not subscribed to the list.
German Gomez Garcia | "This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."
<[email protected]> | -- Wolfgang Pauli

2001-04-03 17:19:50

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: Strange problems with 2.4.3.

German Gomez Garcia wrote:

> eth1: transmit timed out, tx_status 82 status e605.
> diagnostics: net 04d8 media 8880 dma 000000ba.
> eth1: Interrupt posted but not delivered IRQ blocked by another device?

If this happens immediately after startup then possibly the
PCI initialisation has got itself broken.

If it happens after some time of correct operation then it's
just the usual APIC bug. Add the `noapic' option to your
LILO boot command line or use a -ac kernel.

Which is it?

> And finally after some time up the system just hangs up, the time
> is between 5 and 12 hours. No console activity, no SysRQ, nothing on the
> logs, just hanged up.

Dunno about this. It may be related, maybe not.

-