2001-04-12 07:04:39

by Ulrich Windl

Subject: 2.2.19: config help text about "TCO timer"

Hi,

I know I'm late, but Configure.help in 2.2.19 says:

..."The TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) timer is a watchdog"...

I know TCO meaning that, but I can't believe it for a mainboard
component. Should the user then throw the PC away, or what? Or is it
more safe to reboot frequently. What has this to do with costs?

Confused,
Ulrich

2001-04-12 10:56:45

by Alan

Subject: Re: 2.2.19: config help text about "TCO timer"

> I know TCO meaning that, but I can't believe it for a mainboard
> component. Should the user then throw the PC away, or what? Or is it
> more safe to reboot frequently. What has this to do with costs?

Its a watchdog timer. It reduces the <buzzword>TCO</buzzword> by letting you
arrange for your machine to reboot regularly if not poked. Its wonderful and
one of the reasons I deploy i815 motherboards with VIA processors (to avoid
the need for/regular failure of CPU fans) for remote servers.

Alan