2001-04-14 20:10:49

by Chiaki

Subject: "uname -p" prints unknown for Athlon K7 optimized kernel?

Hi,

On my athlong K7 optimized kernel prints "unknown" fir oricessir type.
(I have not realized what this "unknown" stood for until today.)

#uname -p
unknown
#uname -a
Linux duron 2.4.3 #2 Fri Apr 6 04:38:35 JST 2001 i686 unknown

It would be nice to have the processor name printed.

Is this kernel configuration procedure issue or
`uname` problem?

# which uname
/bin/uname
# file /bin/uname
/bin/uname: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
# uname --version
uname (GNU sh-utils) 2.0
Written by David MacKenzie.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is
NO
PURPOSE.
#

2001-04-14 20:21:00

by Bart Trojanowski

BTW this is also the case for AMD-K6-3 and I would imagine all other AMD
processors.

B.

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Ishikawa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my athlong K7 optimized kernel prints "unknown" fir oricessir type.
> (I have not realized what this "unknown" stood for until today.)
>
> #uname -p
> unknown
> #uname -a
> Linux duron 2.4.3 #2 Fri Apr 6 04:38:35 JST 2001 i686 unknown
>
> It would be nice to have the processor name printed.
>
> Is this kernel configuration procedure issue or
> `uname` problem?
>
> # which uname
> /bin/uname
> # file /bin/uname
> /bin/uname: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
> # uname --version
> uname (GNU sh-utils) 2.0
> Written by David MacKenzie.

> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is
> NO
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
> #
>

> -

WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/

2001-04-14 21:05:20

by BH

uname has printed unknown for the cpu vendor for as long as I can
remember.
There is a hacked uname.c distributed as "nuname" that works for cyrix
intel and amd, maybe others.

http://cds.duke.edu/pub/sunsite/utils/shell/nuname-1.0.tar.gz

I *think* Cyrix shows up as CyrixInstead

Dual P120
Linux mandelbrot 2.4.4-pre3 #2 SMP Sat Apr 14 12:15:33 PDT 2001 i586
GenuineIntel

Athlon 1Ghz
Linux noc 2.4.3 #1 Fri Mar 30 12:44:13 PST 2001 i686 AuthenticAMD

Dual P3-450
Linux sandbox 2.4.3 #1 SMP Sat Mar 31 17:40:57 PST 2001 i686 GenuineIntel

2001-04-15 05:37:05

by joker

i have this problem using intel 850mhz and 333mhz
any know where to get update version of uname ?

On Sun Apr 15 2001, joker wrote:

> i have this problem using intel 850mhz and 333mhz
> any know where to get update version of uname ?

http://www.tuxfinder.com

Btw:

elfie:~ # uname --version
uname (GNU sh-utils) 2.0.11
Written by David MacKenzie.

elfie:~ # uname -p
unknown

elfie:~ # uname -a
Linux elfie 2.4.3 #1 Fri Apr 13 21:08:29 CEST 2001 i586 unknown

elfie:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 9
model name : AMD-K6(tm) 3D+ Processor
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 400.917
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow
k6_mtrr
bogomips : 799.53

--
# Heinz Diehl, 68259 Mannheim, Germany
# Groovebox Roland MC-303, Digitech RP-1 and Fender Stratocaster for sale,

2001-04-15 15:52:19

by Mr. Shannon Aldinger

2001-04-15 17:43:38

by Andreas Schwab

"Mr. Shannon Aldinger" <[email protected]> writes:

|> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, it was written:
|>
|> > elfie:~ # uname -p
|> > unknown
|> >
|> > elfie:~ # uname -a
|> > Linux elfie 2.4.3 #1 Fri Apr 13 21:08:29 CEST 2001 i586 unknown
|> >
|> I get the same on my Sun Ultra 1, and various x86 boxes. I'm sure this is
|> normal, I'm just not sure how you would change that label. I know gcc
|> compiles everything with a target of gcc-linux-unkown on my machines, so
|> the uknown may be coming from there...

The two things are completely unrelated.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab "And now for something
SuSE Labs completely different."