2001-04-26 21:14:37

by Marek Pętlicki

Subject: binfmt_misc on 2.4.3-ac14

Hi!

Has anybody used binfmt_misc on 2.4.3-ac14? It fails for me:

echo ':py:E::py::/opt/bin/python:' > /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
bash: /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register: No such file or directory

The directory /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/ exists, but nothing in it.

2.4.3 kernel built with exactly the same settings works flawlessly.

Btw: it's RH 7.0, but I've compiled on kgcc (announcing itself as
egcs-2.91.66)

Thanks and best regards

--
Marek P?tlicki <[email protected]>

2001-04-26 21:41:30

by Wayne.Brown

Subject: Re: binfmt_misc on 2.4.3-ac14

?tlicki <[email protected]> wrote:

>The directory /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/ exists, but nothing in it.

Try this:

mount -t binfmt_misc none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc

In the recent -ac versions, binfmt_misc must be mounted separately. I have the
following in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local so that it will work with both Linus' and
Alan's kernels (the third variation was for an older -ac kernel that didn't
create the binfmt_misc directory either; it's really not needed anymore but I
left it in just in case):

#
# Register entries in binfmt_misc
#
if [ -f /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register ] ; then
echo ':DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/local/bin/wine:' >
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
elif [ -d /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc ] ; then
mount -t binfmt_misc none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
echo ':DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/local/bin/wine:' >
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
else
mount -t binfmt_misc none /etc/binfmt_misc
echo ':DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/local/bin/wine:' > /etc/binfmt_misc/register
fi

Wayne

Attachments:
(No filename) (9.00 B)
(No filename) (0.99 kB)

by Marek Pętlicki

On Thursday, April, 2001-04-26 at 23:42:08, [email protected] wrote:

> Marek P
>
> ?tlicki <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The directory /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/ exists, but nothing in it.
>
> Try this:
>
> mount -t binfmt_misc none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc

thank you very much :-)

is it going to become the default in future kernel releases?

regards

--
Marek P?tlicki <[email protected]>

2001-04-26 22:17:55

by Wayne.Brown

<[email protected]> wrote:

>thank you very much :-)

>is it going to become the default in future kernel releases?

You're welcome.

It's been that way in the -ac kernels for a while now, but Linus hasn't put it
into his kernels yet. Perhaps he's waiting until work begins on 2.5, rather
than break an existing interface in 2.4. Anyway, it's entirely up to Linus, so
I'm just guessing here. :-)

Wayne

2001-04-26 23:02:06

by Michael Shiloh

Subject: DMA support in cs5530 IDE driver?

Can anyone report success or failure with enabling DMA for
the CS5530 IDE driver? I can get my system to crash or at
least hang pretty reliably by using hdparm to turn on DMA
while reading an MPEG-2 movie from my hard disk drive.

The hard disk drive is the only rotating drive on the
system.

Hardware: GCT Allwell set top box
CPU: National Geode 266MHz GXM
IDE controller: CS5530 Geode companion chip
Linux: 2.4.3
Disk: IBM Deskstar, 46.1 GByte

Any comments or suggestions appreciated

Thanks,
Michael

2001-04-27 19:12:59

by Thomas Dodd

[email protected] wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >is it going to become the default in future kernel releases?
> It's been that way in the -ac kernels for a while now, but Linus hasn't put it
> into his kernels yet. Perhaps he's waiting until work begins on 2.5, rather
> than break an existing interface in 2.4. Anyway, it's entirely up to Linus, so
> I'm just guessing here. :-)

It's in the 2.4 kernels from RedHat (like the one shipped with SeaWolf)
So if you update you distro you'll see it for a while.

I thought the plan was to move this out of /proc and
to say /etc where config info like this "belongs".
Did this change?

-Thomas