2001-04-29 09:39:52

by David Konerding

Subject: traceroute breaks with 2.4.4

As far as I can tell, somewhere between 2.4.2 and 2.4.4, traceroute
stopped working.
I see the problem on RH7.x. Regular kernel compile with near-defaults
for networking,
no firewalling is enabled. Rebootiing to a similar config under 2.4.2
works OK.

2001-04-29 14:14:15

by Mohammad A. Haque

Subject: Re: traceroute breaks with 2.4.4

David Konerding wrote:
> As far as I can tell, somewhere between 2.4.2 and 2.4.4, traceroute
> stopped working.
> I see the problem on RH7.x. Regular kernel compile with near-defaults
> for networking,
> no firewalling is enabled. Rebootiing to a similar config under 2.4.2
> works OK.

Traceroute is working fine here. You sure you didn't inadvertantly turn
on ECN w/o knowing it?

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Graham Murray

"Mohammad A. Haque" <[email protected]> writes:

> Traceroute is working fine here. You sure you didn't inadvertantly turn
> on ECN w/o knowing it?

Will ECN have any effect on Traceroute? Does ECN not only affect TCP
connections?

2001-04-29 16:10:55

by Mohammad A. Haque

Graham Murray wrote:

> Will ECN have any effect on Traceroute? Does ECN not only affect TCP
> connections?

You're right.

David Konerding wrote:

> As far as I can tell, somewhere between 2.4.2 and 2.4.4, traceroute
> stopped working.
> I see the problem on RH7.x. Regular kernel compile with near-defaults
> for networking,
> no firewalling is enabled. Rebootiing to a similar config under 2.4.2
> works OK.

OK, I'm unable to fix this by reverting to 2.4.2 using the same config as
2.4.2.
However, an older compiled 2.4.2 worked, so I think I must have changed
some configuration which affects it. Can't for the life of me figure out what
it is,
tho'.

Dave

2001-04-29 20:38:13

by Mohammad A. Haque

David Konerding wrote:
> OK, I'm unable to fix this by reverting to 2.4.2 using the same config as
> 2.4.2.
> However, an older compiled 2.4.2 worked, so I think I must have changed
> some configuration which affects it. Can't for the life of me figure out what
> it is,
> tho'.

Send me your config and I'll see if it's duplicated here.