2001-07-03 05:49:46

by Blesson Paul

Subject: kernel still resides in the root

Hi
I just completed the full compilation. But there is one still
missing factor. I uncommented the INSTALL_PATH=/boot. But still the vmlinux
still resides in the directory where i compiled the kernel. Why is it so. What
to do if the kernel should be present in the boot directory.
by
Blesson Paul

2001-07-03 11:49:55

by Mohammad A. Haque

Subject: Re: kernel still resides in the root

Blesson Paul wrote:
> I just completed the full compilation. But there is one still
> missing factor. I uncommented the INSTALL_PATH=/boot. But still the vmlinux
> still resides in the directory where i compiled the kernel. Why is it so. What
> to do if the kernel should be present in the boot directory.

You did run make install? Do you have a custom install script in
/sbin/installkernel?

The vmlinux you see is the uncompressed kernel. If you compiled with
make bzImage, zImage, etc the resulting compressed kernel is at
arch/<your arch>/boot/. You then either run make install or
cp ./System.map arch/<your arch>/boot/<kernel> /boot

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/