2001-07-06 16:54:29

by William Earnest

Subject: New Machine Check problem

Hello,

Have a system with an Asus P5A motherboard, Classic Pentium-200
underclocked to 180 MHz, and 196 MB of real memory. Up through 2.4.4 it
has performed flawlessly. Kernels 2.4.5 and 2.4.6 will not complete the
boot.

Boot looks normal through the F0 0F check, and the message about
"Intel old style machine check architecture supported.". It then spews a
semi-infinite stream of:
"CPU#0: Machine Check Exception: 0x 10C1D0 (type 0x 9)."
lines (until at least the reset button is pressed. I caught this by
setting up for serial console at 300bps, which slowed the screen enough
to make notes by hand.

This new check in bluesmoke.c is causing severe indigestion to a
formerly reliable system. Suggestions appreciated, and glad to run any
tests, but will be leaving Monday Jul. 9 for 2 weeks away from
computers.

Bill Earnest wde@fast-dot-net Linux Powered Allentown, PA, USA
Computers, like air conditioners, work poorly with Windows open.

2001-07-06 17:22:17

by Ariel Molina Rueda

Subject: Via82cxxx Codec rate locked at 48Khz

Greetings:

When i used Redhat 7 and kernel 2.2.x y was happy with my souncard, now I
use RedHat 7.1 and Kernel 2.4.x, but sndconfig doesn't configure my
Via82c686 soundcard at all. At the ending it says

via82cxxx codec rate locked at 48khz

I use a Biostar MKE401B Matherboard with on-board sound (AC97)

I've heard about patches for the intel chipsets, does anybody knows if one
for my card has been released, or how to fix this problem...
(my sound is choppy and XMMS crashes!)

something weird is that sound is good when Linus says:
"Hi, Im Linus Torvalds, and...."
then after sndconfig ends and sound is crying...

--
_____________________________
Ariel Molina Rueda

[email protected]
-----------------------------

2001-07-06 17:55:03

by Adrian Cox

Subject: Re: Via82cxxx Codec rate locked at 48Khz

Ariel Molina Rueda wrote:

> When i used Redhat 7 and kernel 2.2.x y was happy with my souncard, now I
> use RedHat 7.1 and Kernel 2.4.x, but sndconfig doesn't configure my
> Via82c686 soundcard at all. At the ending it says
>
> via82cxxx codec rate locked at 48khz

Is this with 2.4.6 or an earlier version? 2.4.6 contained new code for
talking to the codec.

--
Adrian Cox http://www.humboldt.co.uk/

2001-07-06 18:20:21

by Ariel Molina Rueda

The Kernel is 2.4.2-2 , the kernel that comes in the Redhat 7.1 Distro.

Do you think its a good idea to update my kernel...?
May that solve my problem...?

i've heard that updating it's useless to fix this...
BTW where can i found the latest STABLE Kernel?

--
_____________________________
Ariel Molina Rueda

[email protected]
-----------------------------

2001-07-06 18:20:00

by Masoud

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Ariel Molina Rueda wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> When i used Redhat 7 and kernel 2.2.x y was happy with my souncard, now I
> use RedHat 7.1 and Kernel 2.4.x, but sndconfig doesn't configure my
> Via82c686 soundcard at all. At the ending it says
>
> via82cxxx codec rate locked at 48khz
>
> I use a Biostar MKE401B Matherboard with on-board sound (AC97)
>
> I've heard about patches for the intel chipsets, does anybody knows if one
> for my card has been released, or how to fix this problem...
> (my sound is choppy and XMMS crashes!)
>
> something weird is that sound is good when Linus says:
> "Hi, Im Linus Torvalds, and...."
> then after sndconfig ends and sound is crying...

You might consider using ALSA sound drivers.
(http://www.alsa-project.org).
Does any body know when they'd merge with mainstream kernel?
(or are they going to be merged with kernel at all or not?)
cheers,
Masoud Sharbiani

2001-07-06 18:31:31

by Ariel Molina Rueda

Subject: Re: Via82cxxx Codec rate locked at 48Khz: ALSA

ALSA drivers have the same problem, i've already installed them...
thanx

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Masoud wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Ariel Molina Rueda wrote:
>

> > Greetings:
> >
> > When i used Redhat 7 and kernel 2.2.x y was happy with my souncard, now I
> > use RedHat 7.1 and Kernel 2.4.x, but sndconfig doesn't configure my
> > Via82c686 soundcard at all. At the ending it says
> >
> > via82cxxx codec rate locked at 48khz
> >
> > I use a Biostar MKE401B Matherboard with on-board sound (AC97)
> >
> > I've heard about patches for the intel chipsets, does anybody knows if one
> > for my card has been released, or how to fix this problem...
> > (my sound is choppy and XMMS crashes!)
> >
> > something weird is that sound is good when Linus says:
> > "Hi, Im Linus Torvalds, and...."
> > then after sndconfig ends and sound is crying...
> >

> You might consider using ALSA sound drivers.
> (http://www.alsa-project.org).
> Does any body know when they'd merge with mainstream kernel?
> (or are they going to be merged with kernel at all or not?)
> cheers,
> Masoud Sharbiani
>
> -

_____________________________
Ariel Molina Rueda

[email protected]
-----------------------------

2001-07-06 19:03:06

by Jeff Garzik

Ariel Molina Rueda wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> When i used Redhat 7 and kernel 2.2.x y was happy with my souncard, now I
> use RedHat 7.1 and Kernel 2.4.x, but sndconfig doesn't configure my
> Via82c686 soundcard at all. At the ending it says
>
> via82cxxx codec rate locked at 48khz
>
> I use a Biostar MKE401B Matherboard with on-board sound (AC97)
>
> I've heard about patches for the intel chipsets, does anybody knows if one
> for my card has been released, or how to fix this problem...
> (my sound is choppy and XMMS crashes!)
>
> something weird is that sound is good when Linus says:
> "Hi, Im Linus Torvalds, and...."
> then after sndconfig ends and sound is crying...

Kernel 2.4.6 definitely includes fixes.

For the message "Codec rate locked at 48Khz", that is a hardware
limitation of your codec. You need to find software which supports
software rate conversion, so that you may play music at speeds other
than 48Khz.

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik | A recent study has shown that too much soup
Building 1024 | can cause malaise in laboratory mice.

2001-07-07 07:33:04

by Adrian Cox

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> For the message "Codec rate locked at 48Khz", that is a hardware
> limitation of your codec. You need to find software which supports
> software rate conversion, so that you may play music at speeds other
> than 48Khz.

One of the symptoms of broken communication with the codec was often
false reporting of codec capabilities. So I'd recommend trying 2.4.6, to
see if the codec really is locked at 48kHz.

--
Adrian Cox http://www.humboldt.co.uk/