2001-07-17 19:04:10

by Dominick, David

Subject: sound?!?!!?

I am having problems with the opl3sa2 driver for yamaha sound card on my
toshiba running kernel 2.4.6

HELP!!!

2001-07-17 19:12:50

by Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

Subject: Re: sound?!?!!?

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Dominick, David wrote:

> I am having problems with the opl3sa2 driver for yamaha sound card on my
> toshiba running kernel 2.4.6
>
> HELP!!!

Um, how exactly? Is it causing oopses? Is it stuttering? Does that question
belong on this list?

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <[email protected]>

2001-07-17 19:14:40

by Dominick, David

good series of questions....
I am configuring the kernel to support that module, but it never sees the
device.
I tried the manual configuration too and it cannot find the device.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Dominick, David wrote:

> I am having problems with the opl3sa2 driver for yamaha sound card on my
> toshiba running kernel 2.4.6
>
> HELP!!!

Um, how exactly? Is it causing oopses? Is it stuttering? Does that question
belong on this list?

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <[email protected]>

2001-07-17 19:47:02

by John Weber

Dominick, David wrote:

> I am having problems with the opl3sa2 driver for yamaha sound card on my
> toshiba running kernel 2.4.6
>
> HELP!!!

I am running kernel 2.4.6 on a toshiba satellite 225CDS and toshiba
tecra 8000 (both use OPL3sa2 driver), and sound is working well. What
exactly do you have problems with? Is this a redhat problem (a problem
with sndconfig)?

2001-07-17 19:50:42

by Dominick, David

it is most likely a problem with me, but I have tried everything and I keep
getting the error that device not found or busy. I get this rather I use the
kernel modules for this card, or I try alsa's driver pack.
Is there some configuration step that you did when using the kernel module?
I had this working a long time ago under the 2.2.x kernel, so I know that
the sound card works, it also works on my W2k hard drive.

> I am having problems with the opl3sa2 driver for yamaha sound card on my
> toshiba running kernel 2.4.6
>
> HELP!!!

I am running kernel 2.4.6 on a toshiba satellite 225CDS and toshiba
tecra 8000 (both use OPL3sa2 driver), and sound is working well. What
exactly do you have problems with? Is this a redhat problem (a problem
with sndconfig)?

2001-07-17 20:10:16

by Christian Borntraeger

> it is most likely a problem with me, but I have tried everything and I keep
> getting the error that device not found or busy. I get this rather I use

Possibly you already tried this, then ignore my ideas:

First idea:
It might be a stupid idea, as I don?t know your Toshiba but try to change the
PnP OS option in the BIOS. (from yes to no or from no to yes)
If you don?t have success set it back, of course.

Second idea:
Have you activated ISA PnP in the Kernel?
/proc/isapnp must exist and the sound module should be loaded after the
isaPnP support.
If /proc/isapnp exists, what is sndconfig doing?

Good Luck.

2001-07-17 20:11:36

by Dominick, David

thanks, but yeah I tried both of those. I am trying to change the memory
addresses for the card itself in the bios now.

> it is most likely a problem with me, but I have tried everything and I
keep
> getting the error that device not found or busy. I get this rather I use

Possibly you already tried this, then ignore my ideas:

First idea:
It might be a stupid idea, as I don?t know your Toshiba but try to change
the
PnP OS option in the BIOS. (from yes to no or from no to yes)
If you don?t have success set it back, of course.

Second idea:
Have you activated ISA PnP in the Kernel?
/proc/isapnp must exist and the sound module should be loaded after the
isaPnP support.
If /proc/isapnp exists, what is sndconfig doing?

Good Luck.

2001-07-17 21:52:36

by Dominick, David

when running sndconfig I get:
/lib/modules/2.4.6/kernel/drivers/sound/sound.o: unresolved symbol
request_module

> I am having problems with the opl3sa2 driver for yamaha sound card on my
> toshiba running kernel 2.4.6
>
> HELP!!!

I am running kernel 2.4.6 on a toshiba satellite 225CDS and toshiba
tecra 8000 (both use OPL3sa2 driver), and sound is working well. What
exactly do you have problems with? Is this a redhat problem (a problem
with sndconfig)?

2001-07-18 07:07:58

by Christian Bornträger

> when running sndconfig I get:
> /lib/modules/2.4.6/kernel/drivers/sound/sound.o: unresolved symbol
> request_module

Its only a guess, but have you included kmod in the Kernel?

cd /usr/src/linux
grep KMOD .config
should look like:

CONFIG_KMOD=y

2001-07-18 13:17:02

by Dominick, David

yup it is there...
Funny that the impossible things were easy to get configured, and the pnp bs
is impossible.
> /lib/modules/2.4.6/kernel/drivers/sound/sound.o: unresolved symbol
> request_module

Its only a guess, but have you included kmod in the Kernel?

cd /usr/src/linux
grep KMOD .config
should look like:

CONFIG_KMOD=y

2001-07-19 14:03:42

by Dominick, David

is there a sound guru in the house? or does anybody have a mailing list
address for Linux sound?