2001-10-01 11:28:11

by Stephane Dudzinski

Subject: USB Issues on 2.4

Hello,

I would like to bring your attention to some USB issues i experienced
with a USB mouse and normal PS/2 keyboard (not USB).

I installed a usb mouse on 2 systems, one being a pure intel with an
i810 chipset and the other being a via 686b chipset.

First one (the intel) behaves fine, all modules loading up okay and all
working smoothly.

Second one (via from hell) locks up the keyboard as soon as the usb-uhci
is loaded up. This behavior happened on both 2.4.9 and 2.4.10 final
kernels.

I've been pointed to some bios issues with ABIT boards (got a KT7A-RAID)
and especially IRQ sharing (got alot of PCI cards in the box).

I thought it might be useful to send this email.
Steph

Stephane Dudzinski Systems Administrator
a n t e f a c t o t: +353 1 8586009
http://www.antefacto.com f: +353 1 8586014

2001-10-01 17:05:31

by Pete Zaitcev

Subject: Re: USB Issues on 2.4

> First one (the intel) behaves fine, all modules loading up okay and all
> working smoothly.
>
> Second one (via from hell) locks up the keyboard as soon as the usb-uhci
> is loaded up. This behavior happened on both 2.4.9 and 2.4.10 final
> kernels.

Are you saying that 2.4.8 worked? Please test that, it would
help narrowing the cause.

> I've been pointed to some bios issues with ABIT boards (got a KT7A-RAID)
> and especially IRQ sharing (got alot of PCI cards in the box).

Unlikely. In case of an IRQ storm whole box would lock,
not only its keyboard.

-- Pete

2001-10-01 23:58:00

by Kenneth Johansson

Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > First one (the intel) behaves fine, all modules loading up okay and all
> > working smoothly.
> >
> > Second one (via from hell) locks up the keyboard as soon as the usb-uhci
> > is loaded up. This behavior happened on both 2.4.9 and 2.4.10 final
> > kernels.

I have a similar problem but I get it both on keyboard and mouse (usb). The
funny thing is that if I do filesystem activity the keyboard and mouse works
OK.

This must be some sort of IRQ problem.

Don't know if it works in earlier version 2.4.10 is the first one in a long
time I tried to get USB working on.

2001-10-02 21:30:23

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> I would like to bring your attention to some USB issues i experienced
> with a USB mouse and normal PS/2 keyboard (not USB).
>
> I installed a usb mouse on 2 systems, one being a pure intel with an
> i810 chipset and the other being a via 686b chipset.
>
> First one (the intel) behaves fine, all modules loading up okay and all
> working smoothly.
>
> Second one (via from hell) locks up the keyboard as soon as the usb-uhci
> is loaded up. This behavior happened on both 2.4.9 and 2.4.10 final
> kernels.

USB legacy emulation, where firmware emulates ps/2 mouse from usb one?
Pavel
--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]