2001-10-09 19:00:01

by Mika Liljeberg

Subject: VM crash with 2.4.10 & SMP

Hi,

I just had my machine crash and freeze on a NULL pointer dereference in
page_alloc.c:rmqueue(), called from __alloc_pages(). Looks like it's the
last rmqueue() call in there.

I know, 2.4.10 is buggy buggy buggy. Will be upgrading to pre6 RSN.

Regards,

MikaL

2001-10-09 20:06:19

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: VM crash with 2.4.10 & SMP

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Mika Liljeberg wrote:

> I know, 2.4.10 is buggy buggy buggy. Will be upgrading to pre6 RSN.

While you're at it, you might as well try the -ac series.

Contrary to common wisdom, currently the -ac kernel is the
slower-moving kernel and -linus is the more experimental
one. The fact that most big distros base their kernel RPM
on Alan's kernel is a good reason to try it, too ;)

regards,

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C? Who cares? http://thefreeworld.net/ (volunteers needed)

by Mika Liljeberg

Rik van Riel wrote:
> Contrary to common wisdom, currently the -ac kernel is the
> slower-moving kernel and -linus is the more experimental
> one. The fact that most big distros base their kernel RPM
> on Alan's kernel is a good reason to try it, too ;)

I might at that, as ext3 doesn't seem to patch cleanly into pre6. I have
to warn you, though, that since 2.4.0-pre9 I haven't found a kernel yet
that doesn't freeze or reboot my machine every now and then, -ac or
otherwise. ;-)

MikaL

(heading for the border as the VM camps start arming their tomahawks)