2001-10-10 13:29:28

by Dennis.Heuer

Subject: packaging

I'm shure you discussed this several times but...

a 30MB download makes me think of splitting the package. There could be one package with all experimental modules and one with very old and mainly unused modules (like for old CD-ROMS). Don't you think?

Greetings

Dennis

2001-10-10 13:42:58

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: packaging

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> I'm shure you discussed this several times but...

Many, many times. Luckily there is a standard response,
which goes roughly as follows:

> a 30MB download makes me think of splitting the package.

"Go ahead, try to split the package yourself and find out
how impossible it is."

cheers,

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C? Who cares? http://thefreeworld.net/ (volunteers needed)

by John Levon

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:32:20PM +0200, [email protected] wrote:

> I'm shure you discussed this several times but...
>
> a 30MB download makes me think of splitting the package. There could be one
> package with all experimental modules and one with very old and mainly unused
> modules (like for old CD-ROMS). Don't you think?

please read the FAQ (shown in EVERY lkml message) before posting. Traffic is high
enough as it is.

john

--
"For every finger you point at the other guy, check who your other fingers
point at."

2001-10-10 14:16:38

by Jesper Juhl

[email protected] wrote:

> I'm shure you discussed this several times but...

it's been discussed many, many times, it's even in the lkml FAQ:
http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s7-7

-
Jesper Juhl

by Richard Gooch

Rik van Riel writes:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > I'm shure you discussed this several times but...
>
> Many, many times. Luckily there is a standard response,
> which goes roughly as follows:

Indeed there is a standard response. In fact, the FAQ has a few
paragraphs on the subject! Pity the FAQ wasn't consulted before
posting this question :-(
You know, the FAQ is mentioned in the welcome message when you sign up
to the list, and at the bottom of every message on this list:

There really is no excuse for not reading the FAQ.

> > a 30MB download makes me think of splitting the package.
>
> "Go ahead, try to split the package yourself and find out
> how impossible it is."

"And don't ask us to do it for you"!

Regards,

Richard....