2001-10-21 23:14:00

by Jesper Juhl

Subject: /proc/sys/kernel/tainted does not seem to work as intended

I have not investigated this very closely, but it seems to me that
/proc/sys/kernel/tainted does not work as intended.
I use the nVidia binary-only drivers with my Geforce3 graphics card and
if I boot up in runlevel 3 (multi user, no X - on a Slackware 8 box) I
check that I have no modules loaded and at this point
/proc/sys/kernel/tainted is 0. Then I switch to runlevel 4 (multiuser,
with X) and the nVidia drivers load as X is started, I check
/proc/sys/kernel/tainted and find that it is still 0. Since the nVidia
drivers are binary only and not GPL shouldn't /proc/sys/kernel/tainted
be 1 (or at least != 0) ???

I'm currently running 2.4.13-pre6 + Robert Love's preempt patch.

--
Best regards,
Jesper Juhl

by Alan

> with X) and the nVidia drivers load as X is started, I check
> /proc/sys/kernel/tainted and find that it is still 0. Since the nVidia
> drivers are binary only and not GPL shouldn't /proc/sys/kernel/tainted
> be 1 (or at least != 0) ???

It depends if your modutils are current - the work is done in the modutils
not the kernel

2001-10-21 23:28:01

by Jesper Juhl

Alan Cox wrote:

> > with X) and the nVidia drivers load as X is started, I check
> > /proc/sys/kernel/tainted and find that it is still 0. Since the nVidia
> > drivers are binary only and not GPL shouldn't /proc/sys/kernel/tainted
> > be 1 (or at least != 0) ???
>
> It depends if your modutils are current - the work is done in the modutils
> not the kernel

Ahh, thank you for that piece of info.
I use modutils 2.4.6 and I just found a modutils changelog and it seems
that the "tainted" stuff was not added until 2.4.9.

I'll get my modutils up to date.

/Jesper Juhl