2001-10-26 19:05:52

by Sean Swallow

Subject: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado with later kernels

List,

I am having a problem with a 3c905C and later kernels (2.4.9, 2.4.12 and
2.4.13). When I try to use my 3c905C with these kernels I get this error
message:

Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol

Kernel 2.4.7 works fine with this nic tho. I also tried this on another
machine with the same results.

Any suggestions?

thank you,

--
Sean J. Swallow
pgp (6.5.2) keyfile @ https://nurk.org/keyfile.txt

2001-10-26 19:24:07

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado with later kernels

Sean Swallow wrote:

> List,
>
> I am having a problem with a 3c905C and later kernels (2.4.9, 2.4.12 and
> 2.4.13). When I try to use my 3c905C with these kernels I get this error
> message:
>
> Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol
>
> Kernel 2.4.7 works fine with this nic tho. I also tried this on another
> machine with the same results.

Did you upgrade your initscripts by any chance?

Turn on CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV in your kernel config.

--
Jeff Garzik | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024 | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.

2001-10-26 20:01:47

by Kwijibo

I believe it has somethin to do with RH scripts. I just upgraded to 7.2
and I got
the same crap. I have the 3c982. It didn't seem to affect much besides
not loading
my eth0 correctly, but I just fixed that with ifconfig.

Steven

Sean Swallow wrote:

List,

I am having a problem with a 3c905C and later kernels (2.4.9, 2.4.12 and
2.4.13). When I try to use my 3c905C with these kernels I get this error
message:

Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol

Kernel 2.4.7 works fine with this nic tho. I also tried this on another
machine with the same results.

Any suggestions?

thank you,

2001-10-26 20:16:14

by Sean Swallow

List,

Configuring CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV and CONFIG_RTNETLINK in the kernel solved
my problem. In the kernel help it says that NETLINK_DEV will be removed
soon... Will Donald's drivers still work when it's removed?

Thanks again Jeff,

--

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Sean Swallow wrote:
> >
> > List,
> >
> > I am having a problem with a 3c905C and later kernels (2.4.9, 2.4.12 and
> > 2.4.13). When I try to use my 3c905C with these kernels I get this error
> > message:
> >
> > Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol
> >
> > Kernel 2.4.7 works fine with this nic tho. I also tried this on another
> > machine with the same results.
>
> Did you upgrade your initscripts by any chance?
>
> Turn on CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV in your kernel config.

2001-10-26 21:23:17

by Alan

> I believe it has somethin to do with RH scripts. I just upgraded to 7.2
> and I got
> the same crap. I have the 3c982. It didn't seem to affect much besides
> not loading
> my eth0 correctly, but I just fixed that with ifconfig.

Most current distributions use netlink - make sure you have netlink sockets
in your custom build kernel and all should be well