2001-10-31 13:01:36

by Nicolas ASPERT

Subject: i820 agp support ?

Hello

It seems to me that the i820 chipset from Intel, which I have on my PC,
is not supported by the 'agpgart' module. Looking at the source (from
2.4.13) shows that there is support for i810, i815 and then skips to i830.
I have managed to use the module successfully with the nice
'agp_try_unsupported=1' option (with a kernel 2.4.9 from RedHat), but
still something remain unclear to me, namely "why is the i820 still in
the 'unsupported' hardware ?".

Are there many major differences between i820 and the other Intel
chipsets ?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Best regards.

Nicolas.

PS: please CC to me your answers/comments since I am not subscribed to
the list.
--
Nicolas Aspert Signal Processing Laboratory (LTS)
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)

2001-10-31 16:03:08

by Robert Love

Subject: Re: i820 agp support ?

On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 08:01, Nicolas Aspert wrote:
> It seems to me that the i820 chipset from Intel, which I have on my PC,
> is not supported by the 'agpgart' module. Looking at the source (from
> 2.4.13) shows that there is support for i810, i815 and then skips to i830.
> I have managed to use the module successfully with the nice
> 'agp_try_unsupported=1' option (with a kernel 2.4.9 from RedHat), but
> still something remain unclear to me, namely "why is the i820 still in
> the 'unsupported' hardware ?".
>
> Are there many major differences between i820 and the other Intel
> chipsets ?
>
> Thanks in advance for answering.

I will work on support for the i820 ... I don't believe there is any
particular reason we don't support it. Please give me the output of

/sbin/lspci -s 0 -v -n

on your i820 machine.

Robert Love

2001-10-31 16:37:21

by Nicolas ASPERT

Robert Love wrote:

> I will work on support for the i820 ... I don't believe there is any
> particular reason we don't support it. Please give me the output of
>
> /sbin/lspci -s 0 -v -n
>
> on your i820 machine.

Hello

Here is the output I get :

00:00.0 Class 0600: 8086:2500 (rev 03)
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0

01:00.0 Class 0300: 10de:0028 (rev 11)
Subsystem: 1048:0c20
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 10
Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0

I was trying to tweak myself the agp code (well, mostly by copying the
intel_generic_setup stuff to a intel_i820_setup stuff, but I guess there
is a more clever way !). Maybe I can help with this ?

I guess that the device id's that must be added into 'agp.h' look like
this :

#ifndef PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_820_0
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_820_0 0x2500
#endif
#ifndef PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_820_1
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_820_1 0x250f
#endif

is it correct ?

Nicolas.