2001-10-31 15:28:36

by Ed Sweetman

Subject: 2.4.14-pre6 + preempt dri lockup

Using 2.4.14-pre6 and Love's preempt patch, i recompiled my X's matrox drm
driver and loaded it. All seemed well and good and i started X and it locked
up. I had to reboot. Upon rebooting I started X without loading the drm
module and disabling DRI and it loaded fine. Tis not good. The drm module
worked in every kernel prior to this one with and without the preempt patch.
I couldn't get an error message or anything but i did hear my monitor resync,
it just never displayed any kind of image. The entire system was
unresponsive.

2001-10-31 15:55:08

by Robert Love

Subject: Re: 2.4.14-pre6 + preempt dri lockup

On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 10:28, safemode wrote:
> Using 2.4.14-pre6 and Love's preempt patch, i recompiled my X's matrox drm
> driver and loaded it. All seemed well and good and i started X and it locked
> up. I had to reboot. Upon rebooting I started X without loading the drm
> module and disabling DRI and it loaded fine. Tis not good. The drm module
> worked in every kernel prior to this one with and without the preempt patch.
> I couldn't get an error message or anything but i did hear my monitor resync,
> it just never displayed any kind of image. The entire system was
> unresponsive.

Did you try it in 2.4.14-pre6 w/o preempt patch?

Are you using the new non-atomic preempt patch (released last night for
pre5)? If so, can you try an old version on pre6? Apply the pre2
version to pre6 and see if it repeats...

Robert Love

2001-10-31 19:15:37

by J Sloan

safemode wrote:

> Using 2.4.14-pre6 and Love's preempt patch, i recompiled my X's matrox drm
> driver and loaded it. All seemed well and good and i started X and it locked
> up. I had to reboot. Upon rebooting I started X without loading the drm
> module and disabling DRI and it loaded fine. Tis not good. The drm module
> worked in every kernel prior to this one with and without the preempt patch.
> I couldn't get an error message or anything but i did hear my monitor resync,
> it just never displayed any kind of image. The entire system was
> unresponsive.

Just a data point -

Running 2.4.14-pre6 + preempt + a.m. low latency
Hardware = PIII-933 on intel mobo, 512 MB
Video = voodoo3 agp

I gave DRI a workout with several hours of
wolfenstein network demo, then ran 40 min or
so of dbench and then let normal services run
through the night. The system remains smooth
and responsive, no incidents in syslog.

So there may be specific driver bugs which
are being invoked in your situation.

cu

jjs

2001-10-31 19:30:17

by Daniel R. Warner

J Sloan wrote:

> Just a data point -
>
> Running 2.4.14-pre6 + preempt + a.m. low latency
> Hardware = PIII-933 on intel mobo, 512 MB
> Video = voodoo3 agp

[snip]
> So there may be specific driver bugs which
> are being invoked in your situation.

I have a 2.4.12-ac6 + preempt system
Hardware = K6-2/400 on MSI mobo, 256 mb
Video = voodoo3 agp

I experience random lockups and crashes in UT and Q3.
(not particularly concerned about it though)
I have not experienced any problems with this box outside of DRI.
-d

2001-10-31 19:48:29

by J Sloan

"Daniel R. Warner" wrote:

> I experience random lockups and crashes in UT and Q3.
> (not particularly concerned about it though)
> I have not experienced any problems with this box outside of DRI.

I have to say, I can't remember ever seeing
a lockup in q3 with this system - DRI has been
very well behaved.

Now, sometimes a 3d xscreensaver module
will freeze and lock the console, but if I log in
from a serial port or from the net, I can kill the
module and the console is freed up again.

With the wolfenstein demo, there are some long
hangs, but it appears to be strictly an application
issue - if I press escape repeatedly, it usually
recovers. If it doesn't recover, I can always
run "[ALT][SYSRQ] k" and get back to the gdm
login screen.

There have been some buggy test kernels that
collapsed of their own accord, but I must say,
no app has ever taken the system down with
a production kernel, nor with any linus kernel
newer than 2.4.10 on this UP system.

To recap:
------------

PIII-933 on intel mobo
512 MB RAM
2x30 GB maxtor ide
Voodoo 3 2000 AGP

Red Hat 7.1 + XFree 4.1.0-3 from rawhide
kernel 2.4.14-pre6+preempt-2.4.14-pre5-1+2.4.13-low-latency.patch

2001-10-31 20:33:40

by Ed Sweetman

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 10:55, Robert Love wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 10:28, safemode wrote:
> > Using 2.4.14-pre6 and Love's preempt patch, i recompiled my X's matrox
> > drm driver and loaded it. All seemed well and good and i started X and
> > it locked up. I had to reboot. Upon rebooting I started X without
> > good. The drm module worked in every kernel prior to this one with and
> > without the preempt patch. I couldn't get an error message or anything
> > but i did hear my monitor resync, it just never displayed any kind of
> > image. The entire system was unresponsive.
>
> Did you try it in 2.4.14-pre6 w/o preempt patch?
>
> Are you using the new non-atomic preempt patch (released last night for
> pre5)? If so, can you try an old version on pre6? Apply the pre2
> version to pre6 and see if it repeats...
>
> Robert Love

I tried it with 2.4.13 without the preempt patch and it worked ...i have not
tried it without the preempt patch for 14, but since i'm not using the drm
that comes with it. The only thing that i think could be it is the new
preempt patch. I'm using the latest one you released for pre5. Where is
the 2.4.14-pre2 preempt patch? all i see is pre5.

2001-10-31 20:44:00

by Robert Love

On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 15:33, safemode wrote:
> I tried it with 2.4.13 without the preempt patch and it worked ...i have not
> tried it without the preempt patch for 14, but since i'm not using the drm
> that comes with it. The only thing that i think could be it is the new
> preempt patch. I'm using the latest one you released for pre5. Where is
> the 2.4.14-pre2 preempt patch? all i see is pre5.

Cheat and guess the name :) It is at:
http://tech9.net/rml/linux/preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.14-pre2-1.patch

I would appreciate it if you could apply that to 2.4.12-pre6 and see if
the problem repeats.

Robert Love

2001-11-02 10:45:24

by Andre Margis

Subject: 2.4.14-pre6 kswapd race

After 1 day 18 hours of uptime running my Database Server, 2.4.14-pre6 enters
in race (kswapd), the machine response to ping, I'm running top a I saw
kswapd going to 100% CPU use.

Maybe 2.4.14-pre7 solve this?

Thanks

Andre