2001-11-09 02:20:21

by David Grant

Subject: Athlon cooling

There is a program for Windows called CPUIdle, which cools the Athlon
tremendoulsy. I can get my temp. from 52C down to 36C. It makes the CPU
truly go idle. Is there anything like this for Linux, and I'm wondering if
anyone knows the instructions (and/or signals) which could be used to put
the Athlon into this state. I guess it's more of a question for some APM
guys, but I thought some people here might know the interface to the Athlon,
and might thus know how this software cooling works. Actually the low-level
apm stuff is part of the kernel right? so maybe this is on-topic.

http://www.cpuidle.de/

Cheers,
David Grant

2001-11-09 02:33:33

by Joel Jaeggli

Subject: Re: Athlon cooling

CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE

in the apm setup...

clock throttling is a subject of some debate on the linux kernel list... ;)
but the apm idle call will at least idle the cpu once the idle loop has
been running for a while.

joelja

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, David Grant wrote:

> There is a program for Windows called CPUIdle, which cools the Athlon
> tremendoulsy. I can get my temp. from 52C down to 36C. It makes the CPU
> truly go idle. Is there anything like this for Linux, and I'm wondering if
> anyone knows the instructions (and/or signals) which could be used to put
> the Athlon into this state. I guess it's more of a question for some APM
> guys, but I thought some people here might know the interface to the Athlon,
> and might thus know how this software cooling works. Actually the low-level
> apm stuff is part of the kernel right? so maybe this is on-topic.
>
> http://www.cpuidle.de/
>
> Cheers,
> David Grant
> -

Joel Jaeggli [email protected]
Academic User Services [email protected]
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

2001-11-09 19:14:39

by Calin A. Culianu

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE
>
> in the apm setup...
>
> clock throttling is a subject of some debate on the linux kernel list... ;)
> but the apm idle call will at least idle the cpu once the idle loop has
> been running for a while.

Yes, and i believe this is done via judicious use of the 'hlt'
instruction. Also note that on some older K6's there are problems with
this instruction.. namely it halts the machine altogether!

> joelja
>
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, David Grant wrote:
>
> > There is a program for Windows called CPUIdle, which cools the Athlon
> > tremendoulsy. I can get my temp. from 52C down to 36C. It makes the CPU
> > truly go idle. Is there anything like this for Linux, and I'm wondering if
> > anyone knows the instructions (and/or signals) which could be used to put
> > the Athlon into this state. I guess it's more of a question for some APM
> > guys, but I thought some people here might know the interface to the Athlon,
> > and might thus know how this software cooling works. Actually the low-level
> > apm stuff is part of the kernel right? so maybe this is on-topic.
> >
> > http://www.cpuidle.de/
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David Grant
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

by Graf Holger

Look for LVCool.

http://www.naggelgames.de/vcool/VC_Linux.html

If you have ACPI enabled you can comment out lvcool's idle loop.

Holger
User error! Please replace user and hit any key to continue...

Disclaimer: My opinions are entirely my own I was assured.
[email protected]

by Jorge Nerin

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE
>
> in the apm setup...
>
> clock throttling is a subject of some debate on the linux kernel list... ;)
> but the apm idle call will at least idle the cpu once the idle loop has
> been running for a while.
>
> joelja
>
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, David Grant wrote:
>

>>There is a program for Windows called CPUIdle, which cools the Athlon
>>tremendoulsy. I can get my temp. from 52C down to 36C. It makes the CPU
>>truly go idle. Is there anything like this for Linux, and I'm wondering if
>>anyone knows the instructions (and/or signals) which could be used to put
>>the Athlon into this state. I guess it's more of a question for some APM
>>guys, but I thought some people here might know the interface to the Athlon,
>>and might thus know how this software cooling works. Actually the low-level
>>apm stuff is part of the kernel right? so maybe this is on-topic.
>>
>>http://www.cpuidle.de/
>>
>>Cheers,
>>David Grant

It has been discused before, it seems that the athlon needs another step
to really enter in power saving mode, I can't remember the details, but
I think it was a pci register, and I also remember that some people saw
corrupts pci tranfer, namely the exact situation was grabbing with a TV
card.

So the decision was that if this corrupted pci transfers from a tv card
it could do the same with a pci ide controler, and that was not
considered safe.

But you should crawl the archives for the same url.

--
Jorge Nerin
<[email protected]>