2001-11-19 00:25:43

by Grzegorz Paszka

Subject: 1.5 GB memory problem with 2.4.x

Hi.

I've RH7.1 with updates and kernel 2.4.14 from tgz, root filesystem is on
software raid1.
Hardware: 1.5 GB RAM, asus cuv4x-e, via chipset (host bridge: VT82C693A/694x).
Kernel is compiled with support for more then 1GB memory. (4GB).

I've tested this hardware with memtest86 (ver. 2.8) and everything looks good.

But linux is unstable. Mysql reports corrupted databases. I get crc
errors when I try ungzip zipped files. Programs dump cores from time to
time. And my linux box hanged one time.

I've tryed 2.4.7 kernel with no support for more then 1GB memory (linux see
about 900MB memory) but problems still appear.

Finally I've only 512MB RAM and linux looks stable with 2.4.7 and 2.4.14.

What I should do to have stable linux with 1.5GB RAM ?

Should I try to redhat kernel-2.4.9-enterprise ? (My / is on raid1 so I don't
know is it possible)

I'm not subscribed on this list.
--
Grzegorz

2001-11-19 01:26:14

by J Sloan

Subject: Re: 1.5 GB memory problem with 2.4.x

Grzegorz Paszka wrote:

> Should I try to redhat kernel-2.4.9-enterprise ?

That would be a useful test, yes.

> (My / is on raid1 so I don't
> know is it possible)

Of course, all Red Hat 2.4 kernels support that.

cu

jjs

2001-11-20 00:45:22

by Steve Bergman

Grzegorz Paszka wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I've RH7.1 with updates and kernel 2.4.14 from tgz, root filesystem is on
>software raid1.
>Hardware: 1.5 GB RAM, asus cuv4x-e, via chipset (host bridge: VT82C693A/694x).
>Kernel is compiled with support for more then 1GB memory. (4GB).
>
>I've tested this hardware with memtest86 (ver. 2.8) and everything looks good.
>
>But linux is unstable. Mysql reports corrupted databases. I get crc
>errors when I try ungzip zipped files. Programs dump cores from time to
>time. And my linux box hanged one time.
>
>I've tryed 2.4.7 kernel with no support for more then 1GB memory (linux see
>about 900MB memory) but problems still appear.
>
>Finally I've only 512MB RAM and linux looks stable with 2.4.7 and 2.4.14.
>
>What I should do to have stable linux with 1.5GB RAM ?
>
>Should I try to redhat kernel-2.4.9-enterprise ? (My / is on raid1 so I don't
>know is it possible)
>
>I'm not subscribed on this list.

Well, I have a similar problem. I'm appending a post that I sent to the
"Dri-users" list last week.

-------------------

Appended message:

Hi,

I have just upped my RAM from 512MB to 1.5GB and am having problems.
When I run any 3D accellerated app (e.g. gears) the machine locks hard.
(Can't ping it) I have checked the memory thoroughly using memtest86
and it checks OK. I have narrowed the problem down to having more than
1024MB physically in the machine. If I have only 1024MB installed,
everything is fine. If I have 1280MB or 1536MB installed, I have this
problem. Note that "boot: linux mem=1024M" does not help. Nor does
booting a kernel compiled without high memory support.

I suspect that X is using a memory address just above 0x40000000 (1GB)
for something and now there is real memory at that address. I notice in
the log that something called SAREA gets mapped to 0x40016000 but I
don't know what that is.

Changing the AGP aperture seems to help some. Changing it from the
default 64M to 8M allows "gears" to work and I even get an incompletely
rendered frame in the game "Rune" before it locks.

Here is my setup:

Epox 8KTA2 MB (KT133 chipset?)
1200MHZ Athlon (sdr)
1536MB sdram pc-133
Radeon QD
Xfree86 4.1
Kernel 2.4.14

Any suggestions appreciated.

2001-11-23 00:35:55

by Grzegorz Paszka

Hi.

I hope my problem with 1.5GB RAM is solved.
I've contacted with my motherboard vendor (Asus) and technical support suggested
that I should upgrade bios. It's standard answer IMHO but it helped.

I'm sorry that I cause confusion.
>From now I hope that everything will be OK.

Best regards.
--