2001-11-23 02:58:12

by Garst R. Reese

Subject: e2fsck-1.25 problem

Sorry if I'm OT here, but reading the docs on ext3fs I had to upgrade
from e2fsck-1.19 so I got the latest, 1.25 and installed it before
booting 2.4.15pre6.
make check said all was fine. But, when I rebooted some messages sailed
by about not being able to load shared libraries and libgcc_s.so.1 and
fsck said something about errors in the fs and REBOOT NOW. Very scary
always.
I booted up a recovery disk and ran e2fsck-1.10 on both of the relevant
devices and with -f and all was well. I rebooted back to 2.4.14 and got
the same messages flying by. Nothing of the sort in dmesg or the logs.
Can anybody give me a clue as to what is going on? The system goes ahead
and reboots and runs fine with either kernel AFAIK.
gcc-3.0.2
cc [email protected]
Thanks a bunch, Garst

2001-11-23 04:19:27

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: e2fsck-1.25 problem

On Nov 22, 2001 22:57 -0400, Garst R. Reese wrote:
> I got the latest, 1.25 and installed it before booting 2.4.15pre6.
> make check said all was fine. But, when I rebooted some messages sailed
> by about not being able to load shared libraries and libgcc_s.so.1 and
> fsck said something about errors in the fs and REBOOT NOW. Very scary
> always.

I take it you did a normal ./configure; make; make install? I am running
1.25 without any problems.

> I booted up a recovery disk and ran e2fsck-1.10 on both of the relevant
> devices and with -f and all was well. I rebooted back to 2.4.14 and got
> the same messages flying by. Nothing of the sort in dmesg or the logs.

e2fsck wouldn't log anything in dmesg or in syslog. It would be helpful
to see what the exact messages are. Note also, that e2fsck 1.10 is
_very_ old (released 4.5 years ago), so it is entirely possible that
your fs has problems in it that it could not detect, but the newer e2fsck
does find.

I would suggest booting from a recovery disk with a statically linked
e2fsck 1.25, and then run it under "script" so you get a log of all
the output. Post it here.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

by Garst R. Reese

The problem is solved. fsck was dependent on libgcc_s.so.1, which had no
execute permissions. Don't know how that happened. It was also on
/usr/local/lib on another partition and I moved it to /lib
Thanks Andreas
Garst

2001-11-23 23:31:24

by Mike Castle

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 04:32:31AM -0400, Garst R. Reese wrote:
> The problem is solved. fsck was dependent on libgcc_s.so.1, which had no
> execute permissions. Don't know how that happened. It was also on
> /usr/local/lib on another partition and I moved it to /lib

Recently installed gcc-3.0.x, I take it?

This was a move I recently regretted, because of this issue.

mrc
--
Mike Castle [email protected] http://www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen