2001-11-26 18:02:31

by Justin Piszcz

Subject: Linux 2.4.16 Bug (PPC)

Bug still resides in 2.4.16 still, even after the PPC fixes that were
applied to 2.4.16-pre1.

If nobody cares about PPC updates, I guess I should put the box back on
the shelf.

The video driver (plat) is the framebuffer for a few macs, without it,
I cannot do anything.

Any plans to fix this?

// default_vmode = nvram_read_byte(NV_VMODE);
// default_cmode = nvram_read_byte(NV_CMODE);

Commenting the two undefined functions out in drivers/video/platinumfb.c
allows for a successful compile.
It also allows for the video driver to be brought up succesfully.

Now will this bug be fixed in 2.4.17 for PPC or should I just put my PPC
back on the shelf? :)

make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all_targets'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/lib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/lib'
ld -T arch/ppc/vmlinux.lds -Ttext 0xc0000000 -Bstatic
arch/ppc/kernel/head.o init/main.o init/version.o \
--start-group \
arch/ppc/kernel/kernel.o arch/ppc/mm/mm.o arch/ppc/lib/lib.o
kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o \
drivers/char/char.o drivers/block/block.o drivers/misc/misc.o
drivers/net/net.o drivers/media/media.o drivers/scsi/scsidrv.o
drivers/cdrom/driver.o drivers/pci/driver.o
drivers/macintosh/macintosh.o drivers/video/video.o \
net/network.o \
/usr/src/linux/lib/lib.a \
--end-group \
-o vmlinux
nm vmlinux | grep -v '\(compiled\)\|\(\.o$\)\|\( [aUw]
\)\|\(\.\.ng$\)\|\(LASH[RL]DI\)' | sort > System.map

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/lib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/lib'
ld -T arch/ppc/vmlinux.lds -Ttext 0xc0000000 -Bstatic
arch/ppc/kernel/head.o init/main.o init/version.o \
--start-group \
arch/ppc/kernel/kernel.o arch/ppc/mm/mm.o arch/ppc/lib/lib.o
kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o \
drivers/char/char.o drivers/block/block.o drivers/misc/misc.o
drivers/net/net.o drivers/media/media.o drivers/scsi/scsidrv.o
drivers/cdrom/driver.o drivers/pci/driver.o
drivers/macintosh/macintosh.o drivers/video/video.o \
net/network.o \
/usr/src/linux/lib/lib.a \
--end-group \
-o vmlinux
drivers/video/video.o: In function `init_platinum':
drivers/video/video.o(.text.init+0x1350): undefined reference to
`nvram_read_byte'
drivers/video/video.o(.text.init+0x1350): relocation truncated to fit:
R_PPC_REL24 nvram_read_byte
drivers/video/video.o(.text.init+0x13d0): undefined reference to
`nvram_read_byte'
drivers/video/video.o(.text.init+0x13d0): relocation truncated to fit:
R_PPC_REL24 nvram_read_byte
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

2001-11-26 18:09:52

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: Linux 2.4.16 Bug (PPC)

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, war wrote:

> Bug still resides in 2.4.16 still, even after the PPC fixes that were
> applied to 2.4.16-pre1.
>
> If nobody cares about PPC updates, I guess I should put the box back
> on the shelf.

I think the PPC maintainers care about PPC fixes;
most likely they're even forwarding patches to
marcelo ;)

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C? Who cares? http://thefreeworld.net/

by Russell King

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:01:28PM -0500, war wrote:
> Bug still resides in 2.4.16 still, even after the PPC fixes that were
> applied to 2.4.16-pre1.

Looking at the MAINTAINERS file, it appears that PPC is missing a person
to look after it. I suppose you need to produce a patch that fixes the
problem and submit it to the relevant people/mailing list for inclusion
in the kernel.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Marcelo Tosatti

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Russell King wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:01:28PM -0500, war wrote:
> > Bug still resides in 2.4.16 still, even after the PPC fixes that were
> > applied to 2.4.16-pre1.
>
> Looking at the MAINTAINERS file, it appears that PPC is missing a person
> to look after it. I suppose you need to produce a patch that fixes the
> problem and submit it to the relevant people/mailing list for inclusion
> in the kernel.

Not really: The PPC people have patches to do that. I'll probably get them
into 2.4.17-pre1.

2001-11-26 18:37:42

by Tom Rini

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:01:28PM -0500, war wrote:

> Bug still resides in 2.4.16 still, even after the PPC fixes that were
> applied to 2.4.16-pre1.

Didn't see this one reported before...

> The video driver (plat) is the framebuffer for a few macs, without it,
> I cannot do anything.
>
> Any plans to fix this?
>
> // default_vmode = nvram_read_byte(NV_VMODE);
> // default_cmode = nvram_read_byte(NV_CMODE);
>
> Commenting the two undefined functions out in drivers/video/platinumfb.c
> allows for a successful compile.

Is CONFIG_NVRAM on?

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

2001-11-26 18:37:42

by Brian Gerst

war wrote:

> Bug still resides in 2.4.16 still, even after the PPC fixes that were
> applied to 2.4.16-pre1.
>
> If nobody cares about PPC updates, I guess I should put the box back on
> the shelf.
>
> The video driver (plat) is the framebuffer for a few macs, without it,
> I cannot do anything.
>
> Any plans to fix this?
>
> // default_vmode = nvram_read_byte(NV_VMODE);
> // default_cmode = nvram_read_byte(NV_CMODE);
>
> Commenting the two undefined functions out in drivers/video/platinumfb.c
> allows for a successful compile.
> It also allows for the video driver to be brought up succesfully.
>
> Now will this bug be fixed in 2.4.17 for PPC or should I just put my PPC
> back on the shelf? :)

Is CONFIG_NVRAM built in to the kernel?

--

Brian Gerst

2001-11-26 18:40:43

by Tom Rini

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 06:14:07PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:01:28PM -0500, war wrote:
> > Bug still resides in 2.4.16 still, even after the PPC fixes that were
> > applied to 2.4.16-pre1.
>
> Looking at the MAINTAINERS file, it appears that PPC is missing a person
> to look after it. I suppose you need to produce a patch that fixes the
> problem and submit it to the relevant people/mailing list for inclusion
> in the kernel.

Well, not for that driver in particular but Paul Mackerras is listed
under 'LINUX FOR POWERPC' and Ben Herrenschmidt for 'LINUX FOR POWER
MACINTOSH'. The file itself lists a few names, but no email address
however..

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

2001-11-27 21:57:28

by Paul Mackerras

war writes:

> Bug still resides in 2.4.16 still, even after the PPC fixes that were
> applied to 2.4.16-pre1.
>
> If nobody cares about PPC updates, I guess I should put the box back on
> the shelf.

Gratuitous rudeness will usually get you an answer. :)

> The video driver (plat) is the framebuffer for a few macs, without it,
> I cannot do anything.
>
> Any plans to fix this?
>
> // default_vmode = nvram_read_byte(NV_VMODE);
> // default_cmode = nvram_read_byte(NV_CMODE);
>
> Commenting the two undefined functions out in drivers/video/platinumfb.c
> allows for a successful compile.
> It also allows for the video driver to be brought up succesfully.

Have you reported this before, on this list or anywhere else?

The problem is that your config is slightly unusual in that you have
turned off CONFIG_NVRAM. We can put some ifdefs in so that it
compiles without CONFIG_NVRAM. For now, just turn on CONFIG_NVRAM.

Paul.

2001-11-27 21:57:28

by Paul Mackerras

Russell King writes:

> Looking at the MAINTAINERS file, it appears that PPC is missing a person
> to look after it. I suppose you need to produce a patch that fixes the
> problem and submit it to the relevant people/mailing list for inclusion
> in the kernel.

LINUX FOR POWERPC
P: Paul Mackerras
M: [email protected]
W: http://www.fsmlabs.com/linuxppcbk.html
S: Supported

Is that problem that it isn't apparent that PPC == PowerPC == POWERPC?

(Hmmm, I need to update that URL too.)

Paul.

2001-11-27 22:02:48

by Justin Piszcz

Already learned how to fix this earlier, had to have nvram compiled in.