2001-11-27 14:49:55

by Martin A. Brooks

Subject: Re: 'spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7'

> Something I should have added to my post is that I have a Tulip based
> NIC from Netgear. But I believe something is definitely amiss with
> Athlon based machines and Tulip cards and compiled in SMP support.

Mine is a UP box.

Martin A. Brooks.

2001-11-27 14:54:35

by Alan

> > Something I should have added to my post is that I have a Tulip based
> > NIC from Netgear. But I believe something is definitely amiss with
> > Athlon based machines and Tulip cards and compiled in SMP support.
>
> Mine is a UP box.

With IO Apic support included ? If you are using an AMD/VIA combo chipset
board that would explain it

2001-11-27 14:59:15

by Martin A. Brooks

> With IO Apic support included ? If you are using an AMD/VIA combo
> chipset board that would explain it

Yup

CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y

Martin A. Brooks.

2001-11-27 14:59:25

by Andreas Steinmetz

On 27-Nov-2001 Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>> Something I should have added to my post is that I have a Tulip based
>> NIC from Netgear. But I believe something is definitely amiss with
>> Athlon based machines and Tulip cards and compiled in SMP support.
>
> Mine is a UP box.

All of my boxes are UP, too. PII, PIII, Athlon TB. Various mobos.

> Martin A. Brooks.
>

> -

Andreas Steinmetz
D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH

2001-11-27 15:09:36

by Andreas Steinmetz

On 27-Nov-2001 Alan Cox wrote:
>> > Something I should have added to my post is that I have a Tulip based
>> > NIC from Netgear. But I believe something is definitely amiss with
>> > Athlon based machines and Tulip cards and compiled in SMP support.
>>
>> Mine is a UP box.
>
> With IO Apic support included ? If you are using an AMD/VIA combo chipset
> board that would explain it

IO Apic, yes. But the PII/PIII systems are BX or I810/I815.

> -

Andreas Steinmetz
D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH

2001-11-27 15:18:35

by Adam Schrotenboer

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 10:01, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Something I should have added to my post is that I have a Tulip based
> > > NIC from Netgear. But I believe something is definitely amiss with
> > > Athlon based machines and Tulip cards and compiled in SMP support.
> >
> > Mine is a UP box.
>
> With IO Apic support included ? If you are using an AMD/VIA combo chipset
> board that would explain it
With it turned on, but no IOAPIC (figured I did have one. But it never
worked.) present. AMD 751/756.
> -

tabris

Due to management cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will now be
switched off.

Graffiti

2001-11-27 15:55:09

by Ian Molton

On a sunny Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:59:34 -0000 (GMT) Martin A. Brooks gathered
a sheaf of electrons and etched in their motions the following immortal
words:

> > With IO Apic support included ? If you are using an AMD/VIA combo
> > chipset board that would explain it
>
> Yup
>
> CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
> CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
> CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
> CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y

Same here.

what /is/ IOAPIC? I always turned it on, but never bothered to check up on
what it is (its safe to just have it, right?)

2001-11-27 19:53:48

by Anton Altaparmakov

Subject: Absence of PS/2 keyboard causes spurious IRQ7? - Was Re: 'spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7'

At 15:01 27/11/01, Alan Cox wrote:
>With IO Apic support included ? If you are using an AMD/VIA combo chipset
>board that would explain it

I do use IO Apic on both my machines (one athlon/via kt133, one p4/i845)
and as long as I have a PS/2 keyboard attached I NEVER see the spurious
interrupt message on either system.

With a USB keyboard instead of a PS/2 keyboard the VIA box but not the i845
box starts showing the spurious IRQ7. It appears during boot exactly once
(always) and then occasionally during system run time. Usually associated
with me loading/unloading the ntfs module during testing.

Also when using the USB keyboard I get keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not
present?(f4) messages popping up from time to time. Usually accompanied by
a spurious IRQ7 message.

So at least on my VIA box there seems to be a relationship between the lack
of PS/2 keyboard and the IRQ7 messages.

Note, with my PS/2 keyboard (before I upgraded to USB one) I never saw
either of the above messages.

I recently upgraded the i845 box to USB keyboard as well and while I do see
the kyboard: Timeout messages I do not see any spurious interrupts.

Very odd.

Best regards,

Anton

--
"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/

2001-11-27 20:09:28

by Piter PUNK

Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> Also when using the USB keyboard I get keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard
> not present?(f4) messages popping up from time to time. Usually
> accompanied by a spurious IRQ7 message.
>
> So at least on my VIA box there seems to be a relationship between the
> lack of PS/2 keyboard and the IRQ7 messages.
>
> Note, with my PS/2 keyboard (before I upgraded to USB one) I never saw
> either of the above messages.

Hi... i have (@work) a Duron with VIA82C686A and a PS/2 keyboard connected

see the same error message "blablabla spurious irq7". I think the problem is
independent have or not the keyboard connected...

--