2001-11-29 11:07:14

by Eric S. Raymond

Subject: CML 1.9.2 is available

The latest version is always available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/

Release 1.9.2: Thu Nov 29 05:43:40 EST 2001
* Rulebase and help sync with 2.4.17-pre1/2.5.1-pre3.
* Rulebase now includes a KERNEL symbol usable in visibilities
so it can track both sides of the 2.4/2.5 fork.
* Search no longer disables suppression of invisible symbols;
they still show up on the results menu, however.
* Fix for a bug in the compiler's type deduction for derived symbols.
* Attempted fix for a visibility bug reported by Keith Owens.

No bugs pending (assuming the fix for Keith's visibility bug works).

Keith has pointed out a weakness in the language -- there's no way to make
the default value of a choices menu dependent on the architecture (an issue
for things like kcore format). I am meditating on this.

As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest,
law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself
worthy of trust. Laws disarming honest citizens proclaim that the government
is the master, not the servant, of the people.
-- Jeff Snyder

2001-11-29 15:18:05

by John Cowan

Subject: Re: [kbuild-devel] CML 1.9.2 is available

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Keith has pointed out a weakness in the language -- there's no way to make
> the default value of a choices menu dependent on the architecture (an issue
> for things like kcore format). I am meditating on this.

Suggestion: allow a derived symbol as the default. It must be possible
to prove that the value of this symbol is going to be one of the
choices.

--
Not to perambulate || John Cowan <[email protected]>
the corridors || http://www.reutershealth.com

2001-11-29 16:37:30

by Eric S. Raymond

John Cowan <[email protected]>:
> > Keith has pointed out a weakness in the language -- there's no way to make
> > the default value of a choices menu dependent on the architecture (an issue
> > for things like kcore format). I am meditating on this.
>
> Suggestion: allow a derived symbol as the default. It must be possible
> to prove that the value of this symbol is going to be one of the
> choices.

The problem here is that the derivation would yield a value, but in
this context we need it to yield a *name*. The `default' clause of
choices is, semantically, a name-valued expression.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to
take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic
purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and
sacrifice for that freedom." -- John F. Kennedy