2001-12-01 00:24:09

by Garst R. Reese

Subject: small feature request

Would it possible to put a header on System.map indicating the kernel
version?
Sometimes my little brain forgets what kernel System.old is for.
Thanks, Garst

2001-12-01 01:52:12

by George Anzinger

Subject: Re: small feature request

"Garst R. Reese" wrote:

> Would it possible to put a header on System.map indicating the kernel
> version?
> Sometimes my little brain forgets what kernel System.old is for.
> Thanks, Garst
> -
Just name it: System.map.2.4.16-xx (where xx is the build number) This
is easy to automate in your install script. Then real system map is "ln
-s"ed to the correct file.

--
George [email protected]
Real time sched: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtsched/

2001-12-01 03:26:11

by Keith Owens

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:23:07 -0400,
"Garst R. Reese" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Would it possible to put a header on System.map indicating the kernel
>version?
>Sometimes my little brain forgets what kernel System.old is for.

It is on my list for kbuild 2.5, once I start on the new design for
reconciling kernel and modules. Goodbye modversions, hello "something
that works" (I hope).

2001-12-01 03:43:01

by Garst R. Reese

Yea Keith. Good luck.
Keith Owens wrote:

> It is on my list for kbuild 2.5, once I start on the new design for
> reconciling kernel and modules. Goodbye modversions, hello "something
> that works" (I hope).

2001-12-01 11:50:18

by Thomas Hofer

george anzinger wrote (Samstag, 1. Dezember 2001 02:51):
> "Garst R. Reese" wrote:
> > Would it possible to put a header on System.map indicating the
> > kernel version?
> > Sometimes my little brain forgets what kernel System.old is for.
> > Thanks, Garst
> > -
>
> Just name it: System.map.2.4.16-xx (where xx is the build number)
> This is easy to automate in your install script. Then real system
> map is "ln -s"ed to the correct file.

If you have multiple kernels in /boot, name it System.map-2.x.xx-xxxx
and let booting kernel decide on his own which map to take. No need for
a symlink. If there's a /boot/System.map the kernel will ignore all the
other maps.

Thomas.

2001-12-06 06:59:22

by Albert D. Cahalan

Keith Owens writes:
> "Garst R. Reese" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Would it possible to put a header on System.map indicating the kernel
>> version?
>> Sometimes my little brain forgets what kernel System.old is for.
>
> It is on my list for kbuild 2.5, once I start on the new design for

Nooooo!!!!!

Don't break stuff by adding headers. There is already a version
in the file. It's in decimal, which sucks, but this will find it:

grep ' Version_' System.map

Adding a random 128-bit ID might be nice, as long as it's done
in the same sort of way and is available via /proc. Something
like this would do: kern_128_id_UkZd1JLdOvAsALfFEL1UI

2001-12-06 07:33:57

by Keith Owens

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 01:58:55 -0500 (EST),
"Albert D. Cahalan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Keith Owens writes:
>> "Garst R. Reese" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Would it possible to put a header on System.map indicating the kernel
>>> version?
>>> Sometimes my little brain forgets what kernel System.old is for.
>>
>> It is on my list for kbuild 2.5, once I start on the new design for
>
>Nooooo!!!!!
>
>Don't break stuff by adding headers. There is already a version
>in the file. It's in decimal, which sucks, but this will find it:
>
>grep ' Version_' System.map
>
>Adding a random 128-bit ID might be nice, as long as it's done
>in the same sort of way and is available via /proc. Something
>like this would do: kern_128_id_UkZd1JLdOvAsALfFEL1UI

Strange, that is exactly what I was think of, adding symbols containing
information that tie the kernel, modules and System.map together more
reliably than the current "use some random System.map" method.

Do you want those exclamation marks back so they can be recycled?

2001-12-06 08:52:37

by Garst R. Reese

"Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

> Keith Owens writes:
> > "Garst R. Reese" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> Would it possible to put a header on System.map indicating the kernel
> >> version?
> >> Sometimes my little brain forgets what kernel System.old is for.
> >
> > It is on my list for kbuild 2.5, once I start on the new design for
>
> Nooooo!!!!!
>
> Don't break stuff by adding headers. There is already a version
> in the file. It's in decimal, which sucks, but this will find it:
>
> grep ' Version_' System.map
>
> Adding a random 128-bit ID might be nice, as long as it's done
> in the same sort of way and is available via /proc. Something
> like this would do: kern_128_id_UkZd1JLdOvAsALfFEL1UI
That grep does not distinguish extra versions.
Garst