2001-12-04 14:44:27

by Pierre Rousselet

Subject: 2.5.1-pre5 AudioCD with cdrom modules

What may cause an AudioCD no being recocognized at first attempt but
only after unloading/reloading the modules ide-cd cdrom ?

I'm testing 2.5.1-pre5 + devfs-patch-v202.

My CRD-8240B is known as /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 in fstab, to mount it
manually on /cdrom, and in the gnome CD player gtcd preferences panel.

ide-cd and cdrom are loaded at boot time (i don't need that, 2.4.16 does
it as well). After loging in i can mount /cdrom but if it is an AudioCD
gtcd tells me 'no disc'.

After rmmod ide-cd cdrom, gtcd finds the AudioCD OK.

This doesn't happen on plain 2.4.16

Pierre
Pierre Rousselet <[email protected]>

by Richard Gooch

Subject: Re: 2.5.1-pre5 AudioCD with cdrom modules

Pierre Rousselet writes:
> What may cause an AudioCD no being recocognized at first attempt but
> only after unloading/reloading the modules ide-cd cdrom ?
>
> I'm testing 2.5.1-pre5 + devfs-patch-v202.
>
> My CRD-8240B is known as /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 in fstab, to mount it
> manually on /cdrom, and in the gnome CD player gtcd preferences panel.
>
> ide-cd and cdrom are loaded at boot time (i don't need that, 2.4.16 does
> it as well). After loging in i can mount /cdrom but if it is an AudioCD
> gtcd tells me 'no disc'.
>
> After rmmod ide-cd cdrom, gtcd finds the AudioCD OK.
>
> This doesn't happen on plain 2.4.16

Please try kernel 2.4.17-pre2 + devfs-patch-v199.2. That will help
determine if the problem is devfs-related, or (more likely) due to the
block I/O changes happening in 2.5.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: [email protected]
Current: [email protected]

2001-12-04 17:42:15

by Richard Gooch

Pierre Rousselet writes:
> Richard Gooch wrote:
> >
> > Pierre Rousselet writes:
> > > What may cause an AudioCD no being recognized at first attempt but
> > > only after unloading/reloading the modules ide-cd cdrom ?
> > >
> > > I'm testing 2.5.1-pre5 + devfs-patch-v202.
> > >
> > > My CRD-8240B is known as /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 in fstab, to mount it
> > > manually on /cdrom, and in the gnome CD player gtcd preferences panel.
> > >
> > > ide-cd and cdrom are loaded at boot time (i don't need that, 2.4.16 does
> > > it as well). After loging in i can mount /cdrom but if it is an AudioCD
> > > gtcd tells me 'no disc'.
> > >
> > > After rmmod ide-cd cdrom, gtcd finds the AudioCD OK.
> > >
> > > This doesn't happen on plain 2.4.16
> >
> > Please try kernel 2.4.17-pre2 + devfs-patch-v199.2. That will help
> > determine if the problem is devfs-related, or (more likely) due to the
> > block I/O changes happening in 2.5.
>
> Excellent, can you hear Diana Krall?

??? You'll have to explain what you mean by this.

> 2.4.17-pre2 + devfs-patch-v199.2 does not have this feature. The
> AudioCD is identified at the first attempt.

OK, since 2.4.17-pre2 + devfs-patch-v199.2 works fine, it suggests the
block I/O changes in 2.5. I've Cc'ed Jens, who likes hearing about
these problems :-)

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: [email protected]
Current: [email protected]

2001-12-04 19:52:23

by Pierre Rousselet

Richard Gooch wrote:

> Pierre Rousselet writes:
> > What may cause an AudioCD no being recognized at first attempt but
> > only after unloading/reloading the modules ide-cd cdrom ?
> >
> > I'm testing 2.5.1-pre5 + devfs-patch-v202.
> >
> > My CRD-8240B is known as /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 in fstab, to mount it
> > manually on /cdrom, and in the gnome CD player gtcd preferences panel.
> >
> > ide-cd and cdrom are loaded at boot time (i don't need that, 2.4.16 does
> > it as well). After loging in i can mount /cdrom but if it is an AudioCD
> > gtcd tells me 'no disc'.
> >
> > After rmmod ide-cd cdrom, gtcd finds the AudioCD OK.
> >
> > This doesn't happen on plain 2.4.16
>
> Please try kernel 2.4.17-pre2 + devfs-patch-v199.2. That will help
> determine if the problem is devfs-related, or (more likely) due to the
> block I/O changes happening in 2.5.

Excellent, can you hear Diana Krall? 2.4.17-pre2 + devfs-patch-v199.2