2001-12-06 18:52:12

by Horst H. von Brand

Subject: Re: [kbuild-devel] Converting the 2.5 kernel to kbuild 2.5

John Stoffel <[email protected]> said:

> >> So has anyone had time to test the Python version 1.5 based CML2 that
> >> was posted? Would that make it more acceptable?
>
> Alan> For 2.5 its a great leap forward.
>
> That was my thought when I saw the patch to make CML2 work with Python
> 1.5 in Kernel 2.5.

I just shudder when thinking that I'll have to learn yet another weird
language to be able to hack on Linux... C, gcc-isms with asm() and all, a
bit of CML1, now CML2, are OK; and now Python...

by John Cowan

Horst von Brand wrote:

> I just shudder when thinking that I'll have to learn yet another weird
> language to be able to hack on Linux... C, gcc-isms with asm() and all, a
> bit of CML1, now CML2, are OK; and now Python...

You only need to learn Python if you are going to change the
CML2 compiler or interpreter, not if you are just changing
CML2. You might as well complain that you must learn
Python to hack GNU Mailman.

CML2 hacking requires knowing Python; kernel hacking does not.

--
Not to perambulate || John Cowan <[email protected]>
the corridors || http://www.reutershealth.com

2001-12-07 21:03:49

by kaih

[email protected] (John Cowan) wrote on 06.12.01 in <[email protected]>:

> Horst von Brand wrote:
>
> > I just shudder when thinking that I'll have to learn yet another weird
> > language to be able to hack on Linux... C, gcc-isms with asm() and all, a
> > bit of CML1, now CML2, are OK; and now Python...
>
> You only need to learn Python if you are going to change the
> CML2 compiler or interpreter, not if you are just changing
> CML2. You might as well complain that you must learn
> Python to hack GNU Mailman.

Or learning gcc RTL and trees to be able to hack the kernel. Just in case
a gcc bug makes it miscompile the kernel.

Mind you: I think Python syntax stinks. But I don't expect to need to
understand it for this.

MfG Kai