2001-12-28 01:29:53

by Tony Hoyle

Subject: nfs + ipv6 hanging???

Kernel 2.4.17, gcc-2.95.4, mount 2.11n

nfs clients seem to hang when ipv6 is on the machine. No idea why...
the mount process gets stuck in 'D' state and the only way out is to
reboot.

If I remove ipv6 from the box & perform exactly the same operations then
it works perfectly. The mount is definately using the ipv4 address (I
don't think the portmapper/nfsd is ipv6 enabled anyway).

Tony

2001-12-28 14:23:08

by Samuel Maftoul

Subject: Re: nfs + ipv6 hanging???

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:29:17AM +0000, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Kernel 2.4.17, gcc-2.95.4, mount 2.11n
>
> nfs clients seem to hang when ipv6 is on the machine. No idea why...
> the mount process gets stuck in 'D' state and the only way out is to
> reboot.
>
> If I remove ipv6 from the box & perform exactly the same operations then
> it works perfectly. The mount is definately using the ipv4 address (I
> don't think the portmapper/nfsd is ipv6 enabled anyway).
Not really sure about this:
I'm at work using SuSE 7.2 wich is shipped with a native IpV6 support
and our nfs client / server works almost perfectly ( with low testing on
gigabit ethernet machines I've got 26 MB/sec)
Sam

> Tony

2001-12-28 19:27:31

by Tony Hoyle

Samuel Maftoul wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:29:17AM +0000, Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
>>Kernel 2.4.17, gcc-2.95.4, mount 2.11n
>>
>>nfs clients seem to hang when ipv6 is on the machine. No idea why...
>>the mount process gets stuck in 'D' state and the only way out is to
>>reboot.
>>
>>If I remove ipv6 from the box & perform exactly the same operations then
>>it works perfectly. The mount is definately using the ipv4 address (I
>>don't think the portmapper/nfsd is ipv6 enabled anyway).
>>
> Not really sure about this:
> I'm at work using SuSE 7.2 wich is shipped with a native IpV6 support
> and our nfs client / server works almost perfectly ( with low testing on
> gigabit ethernet machines I've got 26 MB/sec)
> Sam

It started working after I did a 'make mrproper' on both the client &
server and recompiled. Still no idea why it broke in the first place..

Tony