2002-01-08 10:29:43

by Abramo Bagnara

Subject: Re: [s-h] Re: ALSA patch for 2.5.2pre9 kernel

Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:52:16 +0100,
> Abramo wrote:
> >

> > So we'd have:
> > sound/
> > sound/oss_native
> > sound/oss_emul
> > sound/synth
> > sound/include
> > drivers/sound/i2c
> > drivers/sound/isa
> > drivers/sound/pci
> > drivers/sound/ppc
>
> On the list above, to where OSS (hw specific) codes come? Into a
> single directory, sound/oss_native?

Yes

> Or both ALSA and OSS drivers are
> mixed into drivers/sound/*?
> I'd like to see ALSA and OSS codes are separated into different
> directories... Otherwise it's too confusing.

I think that in this way they are separated enough. Do you agree?

> And how about drivers/sound/generic for generic hardware codes such as
> ac97_codec.c?

Currently Jaroslav has put that in alsa-kernel/pci/ac97. If we follow
this guideline they go in drivers/pci/ac97 (although I'm not sure
whether ac97 is PCI only).

--
Abramo Bagnara mailto:[email protected]

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023
Via Emilia Interna, 140
48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org
It sounds good!

2002-01-08 10:42:55

by Jaroslav Kysela

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Abramo Bagnara wrote:

> > And how about drivers/sound/generic for generic hardware codes such as
> > ac97_codec.c?
>
> Currently Jaroslav has put that in alsa-kernel/pci/ac97. If we follow
> this guideline they go in drivers/pci/ac97 (although I'm not sure
> whether ac97 is PCI only).

I've not seen using AC97 codec in other hardware than PCI based, but the
design of these codecs is independent on the bus bridge. Note that the
current directory structure is my proposal so it is possible to move ac97
sources to another directory.

Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>