2002-01-09 06:12:10

by Eric S. Raymond

Subject: CML2-2.0.4 is available

The latest version is always available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/

Release 2.0.4: Tue Jan 8 22:55:43 EST 2002
* Rulebase and help sync with 2.4.18-pre2/2.5.2-pre10.
* kxref.py can report dependency/ancestry relationships and
label status now.
* More autoconfigurator improvements, including --standalone option.

Bug queue is empty. The compiler and interactive configurators are looking
stable at this point; most of my effeort is going into improving the
autoconfigurator.

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love"

2002-01-09 06:44:13

by Nathaniel Russell

Subject: RE: CML2-2.0.4 is available

There is one thing though when a newie come's over say to Linux Kernel
2.6/3.0 and is starting out using the new CML2 system he could acidentialy
hit the wroung key and all the other option's for the other Linux Kernel
port's will show up and he could click on one of the and try to make a kernel
that is for a x86 and he could be clicking in the IA64 port menu on acident.
Do you see what I'm saying?
I have done it before and I downloaded CML2 2.0.3 and I did it again

2002-01-09 06:48:43

by Eric S. Raymond

reddog83 <[email protected]>:
> There is one thing though when a newie come's over say to Linux Kernel
> 2.6/3.0 and is starting out using the new CML2 system he could acidentialy
> hit the wroung key and all the other option's for the other Linux Kernel
> port's will show up and he could click on one of the and try to make a kernel
> that is for a x86 and he could be clicking in the IA64 port menu on acident.
> Do you see what I'm saying?
> I have done it before and I downloaded CML2 2.0.3 and I did it again

Yes. This will happen if you happen if you toggle the suppression flag.
I'm considering disabling that unless you're in expert mode.

Love your country, but never trust its government.
-- Robert A. Heinlein.

2002-01-09 07:10:18

by Nathaniel Russell

Alright I thought I would let you know though just for your information. OK.

2002-01-09 08:44:46

by Giacomo A. Catenazzi

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> reddog83 <[email protected]>:
>
>>There is one thing though when a newie come's over say to Linux Kernel
>>2.6/3.0 and is starting out using the new CML2 system he could acidentialy
>>hit the wroung key and all the other option's for the other Linux Kernel
>>port's will show up and he could click on one of the and try to make a kernel
>>that is for a x86 and he could be clicking in the IA64 port menu on acident.
>>Do you see what I'm saying?
>>I have done it before and I downloaded CML2 2.0.3 and I did it again
>>

> Yes. This will happen if you happen if you toggle the suppression flag.
> I'm considering disabling that unless you're in expert mode.

Maybe better: use other keystrings. I.e. Control + key.
In this way is more difficult to press the wrong key sequence, but we
still have the full features in all modes.

giacomo

2002-01-09 17:29:36

by Eric S. Raymond

Giacomo Catenazzi <[email protected]>:
> Maybe better: use other keystrings. I.e. Control + key.
> In this way is more difficult to press the wrong key sequence, but we
> still have the full features in all modes.

Not a bad idea, but where possible I like to keep the ttyconfig and menuconfig
commands the same -- and ttyconfig can't easily see control characters.

Anyway this would just address a surface symptom. The real problem is
that the deduction engine can do bad things when suppression is off.
I want to fix that.

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the
government's purposes are beneficient...The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in
insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding."
-- Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

2002-01-10 09:17:36

by Giacomo A. Catenazzi

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Giacomo Catenazzi <[email protected]>:
>
>>Maybe better: use other keystrings. I.e. Control + key.
>>In this way is more difficult to press the wrong key sequence, but we
>>still have the full features in all modes.
>>

> Not a bad idea, but where possible I like to keep the ttyconfig and menuconfig
> commands the same -- and ttyconfig can't easily see control characters.

Debian uses the big letter. i.e. in dselect 'Q' and 'X', 'R' will force some
symbols changes.
Control is better because of no 'Control Caps Lock'.

giacomo