2002-01-26 23:42:04

by Stephen Oberholtzer

Subject: 2.2.20: pci-scan+natsemi & Device or resource busy

My friend is trying Linux for the first time. I'm having him use the
pci-scan and natsemi modules for his Netgear FA-311 card. With the initial
download and compile and insmod, he got that wonderful message:

natsemi.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

He was using 2.2.13, so I got him to upgrade to 2.2.20 to see if that might
have fixed some problem. However, the problem still hasn't gone away :(
No amount of googling has revealed a solution to the problem, since which
I've discovered that "Device or resource busy" is an extremely vague error
message.

Please help!

--
Stevie-O

Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE

2002-01-27 00:08:28

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: 2.2.20: pci-scan+natsemi & Device or resource busy

Stevie O wrote:
> My friend is trying Linux for the first time. I'm having him use the
> pci-scan and natsemi modules for his Netgear FA-311 card. With the initial

These aren't Linux drivers, they are scyld.com drivers... See
http://scyld.com/ for support and more info...

--
Jeff Garzik | "I went through my candy like hot oatmeal
Building 1024 | through an internally-buttered weasel."

2002-01-27 02:11:16

by Stephen Oberholtzer

At 07:07 PM 1/26/2002 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>Stevie O wrote:
> > My friend is trying Linux for the first time. I'm having him use the
> > pci-scan and natsemi modules for his Netgear FA-311 card. With the initial
>
>These aren't Linux drivers, they are scyld.com drivers... See
>http://scyld.com/ for support and more info...

Ahah! Thank you :P

/me smacks himself for not verifying that he'd found the right drivers

Any idea what drivers I *do* need?

--
Stevie-O

Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE

2002-01-27 02:18:05

by Stephen Oberholtzer

At 09:06 PM 1/26/2002 -0500, Stevie O wrote:
>At 07:07 PM 1/26/2002 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>Stevie O wrote:
>> > My friend is trying Linux for the first time. I'm having him use the
>> > pci-scan and natsemi modules for his Netgear FA-311 card. With the initial
>>
>>These aren't Linux drivers, they are scyld.com drivers... See
>>http://scyld.com/ for support and more info...
>
>Ahah! Thank you :P
>
>/me smacks himself for not verifying that he'd found the right drivers
>
>Any idea what drivers I *do* need?

Erm, wait...

A google for "linux fa-311 driver" yields this as the first result:

http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

The title of this page is "Linux Drivers for PCI Ethernet Chips"...

Netgear isn't exactly a small company, I'm finding it hard to believe that
NOBODY has ever tried to create a module for one of their cards...

--
Stevie-O

Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE

2002-01-27 13:22:51

by Daniel J Blueman

The kernel NatSemi driver works perfectly for me with a Netgear FA-311
network card. Kernel is 2.4.17. I haven't tried it modular though...

Dmesg output:

[snip]
natsemi.c:v1.07 1/9/2001 Written by Donald Becker <[email protected]>
http://www.scyld.com/network/natsemi.html
(unofficial 2.4.x kernel port, version 1.07+LK1.0.13, Oct 19, 2001
Jeff Garzi
k, Tjeerd Mulder)
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0a.0
eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xc8009000, 00:02:e3:0a:98:5a, IRQ 11.
eth0: Transceiver status 0x7849 advertising 05e1.
[snip]

Dan
____________________
Daniel J Blueman

2002-01-28 04:48:54

by J Sloan

Just curious, your friend is trying Linux
for the first time, using a distro that is
several years old?

He might have a better experience using
something a bit more recent, aside from
the other advice that has been given...

Joe

Stevie O wrote:

> My friend is trying Linux for the first time. I'm having him use the
> pci-scan and natsemi modules for his Netgear FA-311 card. With the
> initial download and compile and insmod, he got that wonderful message:
>
> natsemi.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
>
> He was using 2.2.13, so I got him to upgrade to 2.2.20 to see if that
> might have fixed some problem. However, the problem still hasn't gone
> away :(
> No amount of googling has revealed a solution to the problem, since
> which I've discovered that "Device or resource busy" is an extremely
> vague error message.
>
> Please help!
>

> --
> Stevie-O
>
> Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE
>
> -
> linux-kernel" in

by Torrey Hoffman

You have probably learned this by now, but I haven't seen anyone
say it on the list, so I'll summarize...

The 2.2.x kernels did not come with drivers for the natsemi. The
Donald Becker / Scyld add-on drivers were much better than nothing,
and we were grateful to have them, but they don't work reliably for
our hardware. We are using motherboards with a soldered-on natsemi
chip, not the Netgear FA-311. We did hack up a version of the
driver that worked for us under 2.2.19, and you can get it from
http://www.myrio.com/opensource if you are interested.

However, the 2.4.x kernels come with much improved natsemi drivers.
These are Donald Becker's drivers, still copyright by him, but have
been updated a lot for 2.4 with new PCI code and lots of bugfixes.

For our hardware, the 2.4.x drivers work quite well as delivered in
the tarball.

I'm actively working to track down intermittent and hard-to-reproduce
problem with multicast receive, but normal one-to-one ethernet seems
to work perfectly.

Torrey Hoffman

2002-02-20 14:11:55

by Jes Sorensen

"Torrey Hoffman" <[email protected]> writes:

> You have probably learned this by now, but I haven't seen anyone
> say it on the list, so I'll summarize...
>
> The 2.2.x kernels did not come with drivers for the natsemi. The
> Donald Becker / Scyld add-on drivers were much better than nothing,
> and we were grateful to have them, but they don't work reliably for
> our hardware. We are using motherboards with a soldered-on natsemi
> chip, not the Netgear FA-311. We did hack up a version of the
> driver that worked for us under 2.2.19, and you can get it from
> http://www.myrio.com/opensource if you are interested.
>
> However, the 2.4.x kernels come with much improved natsemi drivers.
> These are Donald Becker's drivers, still copyright by him, but have
> been updated a lot for 2.4 with new PCI code and lots of bugfixes.

I ran into the same problem with the natsemi driver in 2.2.x (and
rtl8139 as well). I gave up trying to fix the 2.2 drivers and instead
ended up backporting the 2.4.x drivers to 2.2.x which seems to behave
much better.

You can find the backported drivers at
http://www.wildopensource.com/proj/download/SG_drivers.html if you
find they may be useful to you.