2002-02-08 00:50:25

by Mathieu Desnoyers

Subject: Promise PDC20268 spurious interrupt

I have a problem here since I plugged my second hard disk on my Promise
Ultra 100 TX2 PDC20268 controller. It occurs all the time when I use software
raid 0. I looked at the LKML archives, and this problem does not seems to be
solved. There is a simpler way to generate the problem than to use raid.

It occurs when I use dd for reading on my both hard disks in parallel.
The disks are both masters of their channel.

When I do this test, The message I get is

spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ15.

And I can look at /proc/interrupts and see the ERR counter increment at
a phenomenal speed.

I wonder if this problem is due to the linux driver support or if it is
a hardware bug.

OpenPGP public key: http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
Key fingerprint: 8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68

Attachments:
(No filename) (864.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Kenneth Johansson

Subject: Re: Promise PDC20268 spurious interrupt

I don't see this problem but I have a PDC20262 ultra66 and have been running raid0
on that for 1.5 years but one disk broke down and I got a new one. This was a
newer model and thus faster.

The problem I see is that DD from the new disk hangs the system in interesting
ways from dd hangs in uninterruptible sleep to the whole system going down. This
happens on both channels but only on the new disk.

I get two errors in the log

hdg: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14

Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

> I have a problem here since I plugged my second hard disk on my Promise
> Ultra 100 TX2 PDC20268 controller. It occurs all the time when I use software
> raid 0. I looked at the LKML archives, and this problem does not seems to be
> solved. There is a simpler way to generate the problem than to use raid.
>
> It occurs when I use dd for reading on my both hard disks in parallel.
> The disks are both masters of their channel.
>
> When I do this test, The message I get is
>
> spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
> spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ15.
>
> And I can look at /proc/interrupts and see the ERR counter increment at
> a phenomenal speed.
>
> I wonder if this problem is due to the linux driver support or if it is
> a hardware bug.
>
> OpenPGP public key: http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
> Key fingerprint: 8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68

> Part 1.2 Type: application/pgp-signature
> Encoding: 7bit

2002-03-09 07:18:58

by Mathieu Desnoyers

I did a little bit of testing lately, and with the 2.4.1[78] and
2.4.19-pre2-ac3 kernels the problem occurs on my asus p2b-s. I tried to
install the pdc20268 in another computer, with a VIA chipset, and I get
the same error. The interesting fact is that if I do the same test (same
hard drives) on a pdc20265 board with Ultra100 bios (onboard on the VIA
board), there is no problem at all.

Replacing the pdc20268 by another Ultra100TX2 board leads to the same problem.

I believe it's related to the pdc20268 support in the kernel, but I have
no clue of where the problem can come from.

Any suggestions ?

Here is my configuration :

/proc/pci :
[cut]
Bus 0, device 10, function 0:
Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268
(rev 1).
IRQ 11.
Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=18.
I/O at 0xb800 [0xb807].
I/O at 0xb400 [0xb403].
I/O at 0xb000 [0xb007].
I/O at 0xa800 [0xa803].
I/O at 0xa400 [0xa40f].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0800000 [0xe0803fff].
[cut]

dmesg :
[cut]
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
PDC20268: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 50
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0a.0
PDC20268: chipset revision 1
PDC20268: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide2: BM-DMA at 0xa400-0xa407, BIOS settings: hde:pio,
hdf:pio
ide3: BM-DMA at 0xa408-0xa40f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio,
hdh:pio
hde: WDC WD400BB-53AUA1, ATA DISK drive
hdg: MAXTOR 6L040J2, ATA DISK drive
ide2 at 0xb800-0xb807,0xb402 on irq 11
ide3 at 0xb000-0xb007,0xa802 on irq 11
hde: 78165360 sectors (40021 MB) w/2048KiB Cache,
CHS=77545/16/63, UDMA(100)
hdg: 78177792 sectors (40027 MB) w/1818KiB Cache,
CHS=77557/16/63, UDMA(100)
[cut]

* Mathieu Desnoyers ([email protected]) wrote:
> I have a problem here since I plugged my second hard disk on my Promise
> Ultra 100 TX2 PDC20268 controller. It occurs all the time when I use software
> raid 0. I looked at the LKML archives, and this problem does not seems to be
> solved. There is a simpler way to generate the problem than to use raid.
>
> It occurs when I use dd for reading on my both hard disks in parallel.
> The disks are both masters of their channel.
>
> When I do this test, The message I get is
>
> spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
> spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ15.
>
> And I can look at /proc/interrupts and see the ERR counter increment at
> a phenomenal speed.
>
> I wonder if this problem is due to the linux driver support or if it is
> a hardware bug.
>

> OpenPGP public key: http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
> Key fingerprint: 8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68

OpenPGP public key: http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
Key fingerprint: 8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68

Attachments:
(No filename) (3.06 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)
Download all attachments