2002-02-13 18:57:55

by Christoph Pittracher

Subject: Kernel 2.2.20 RAM requirements

Hi!
I wanted to boot kernel version 2.2.20 on my old Pentium 75Mhz system
with 16MB RAM. After "uncompressing linux" i get a: "Out Of Memory --
System halted".
Kernel version 2.2.19 works without problems (same kernel
configuration). I didn't tried 2.4 kernels yet, but I wonder that
2.2.20 needs so much memory?

best regards,
Christoph

2002-02-13 20:09:45

by Alan

Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.20 RAM requirements

> I wanted to boot kernel version 2.2.20 on my old Pentium 75Mhz system
> with 16MB RAM. After "uncompressing linux" i get a: "Out Of Memory --
> System halted".
> Kernel version 2.2.19 works without problems (same kernel
> configuration). I didn't tried 2.4 kernels yet, but I wonder that
> 2.2.20 needs so much memory?

It doesn't. What boot loader are you using ?

2002-02-14 00:48:58

by Christoph Pittracher

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 21:23, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I wanted to boot kernel version 2.2.20 on my old Pentium 75Mhz
> > system with 16MB RAM. After "uncompressing linux" i get a: "Out Of
> > Memory -- System halted".
> > Kernel version 2.2.19 works without problems (same kernel
> > configuration). I didn't tried 2.4 kernels yet, but I wonder that
> > 2.2.20 needs so much memory?
> It doesn't. What boot loader are you using ?

LILO version 21.5-1 beta
from Debian 2.2r5.

best regards,
Christoph

2002-02-14 09:41:55

by Petri Kaukasoina

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:48:28AM +0100, Christoph Pittracher wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2002 21:23, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > I wanted to boot kernel version 2.2.20 on my old Pentium 75Mhz
> > > system with 16MB RAM. After "uncompressing linux" i get a: "Out Of
> > > Memory -- System halted".
> > > Kernel version 2.2.19 works without problems (same kernel
> > > configuration). I didn't tried 2.4 kernels yet, but I wonder that
> > > 2.2.20 needs so much memory?
> > It doesn't. What boot loader are you using ?
>
> LILO version 21.5-1 beta
> from Debian 2.2r5.

If you are using zImage, try bzImage. zImage gives 'Out of memory -- System
halted' from version 2.2.20pre5 up to 2.2.20. In 2.2.21pre1 and pre2 it
works ok again.

2002-02-14 13:20:19

by Paul Gortmaker

I'll take a stab at this one - bet you are using zImage, and once
you try bzImage it will work. Saw this just recently on a low
mem machine (LILO/loadlin) & haven't had a chance to investigate
further.

Please also report gcc/binutils etc. used.

Paul.

Christoph Pittracher wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 February 2002 21:23, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > I wanted to boot kernel version 2.2.20 on my old Pentium 75Mhz
> > > system with 16MB RAM. After "uncompressing linux" i get a: "Out Of
> > > Memory -- System halted".
> > > Kernel version 2.2.19 works without problems (same kernel
> > > configuration). I didn't tried 2.4 kernels yet, but I wonder that
> > > 2.2.20 needs so much memory?
> > It doesn't. What boot loader are you using ?
>
> LILO version 21.5-1 beta
> from Debian 2.2r5.

2002-02-14 13:40:31

by Alan

> you try bzImage it will work. Saw this just recently on a low
> mem machine (LILO/loadlin) & haven't had a chance to investigate
> further.

The zImage/bzImage one should be fixed in 2.2.21pre