2002-02-10 13:31:49

by Joern Nettingsmeier

Subject: funny console prob w/2.4.18-pre[479]+kpreempt+sched-o(1)

hello *

it happens to me regularly that the x server dies without any
obvious reason.
funny thing is, it takes the virtual text consoles with it, which is
why i'm posting here.

i end up in kdm and i can restart x alright, but when i switch vc's,
all i see is a frozen image of the x screen. i can switch back to x,
and it runs.

all tasks i started on the vc's before keep running, the mingettys
are there, the bashes are there, and i can even blind-type commands
that will run correctly. only the display is messed up.
a blind-typed "reset" has no effect.

any clues ?
i'm using x version 4.2.0 with a voodoo3 card (dri and agp enabled).
this is an smp box with 2 p3/600 katmai.
might this be not a kernel issue, but an x11 problem ?

best wishes,

j?rn

please keep be cc:ed, i only read lkml archives.

--
J?rn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurf?rstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany

2002-02-10 13:44:59

by Marc Recht

Am Son, 2002-02-10 um 14.23 schrieb J?rn Nettingsmeier:
> hello *
>
> it happens to me regularly that the x server dies without any
> obvious reason.
[...]
> any clues ?

> i'm using x version 4.2.0 with a voodoo3 card (dri and agp enabled).
> this is an smp box with 2 p3/600 katmai.
> might this be not a kernel issue, but an x11 problem ?
Works for me with, 2.418pre9+kpreempt + sched o(1) (K3) on UP Athlon,
XFree 4.2.0/Geforce with NVidia driver.

Maybe this is a SMP problem ?

2002-02-15 16:17:49

by Jorge Nerin

J?rn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> hello *
>
> it happens to me regularly that the x server dies without any
> obvious reason.

I remeber that some time ago, around XFree 4.0 I also had this issues.

> funny thing is, it takes the virtual text consoles with it, which is
> why i'm posting here.

Yes, the same issues, now it almost never dies, and if it dies the
consoles work ok (I'm using FB at 1024x768 and Xfree at 1152x864)

> i end up in kdm and i can restart x alright, but when i switch vc's,
> all i see is a frozen image of the x screen. i can switch back to x,
> and it runs.

When this happened to me I saw garbage from the X screen from the time
it died, let's see, X dies, I get dropped to the console (seeing garbage
colors of the scren) gdm restarts, everything seems ok, but going back
to the console you see the same garbage as before.

> all tasks i started on the vc's before keep running, the mingettys
> are there, the bashes are there, and i can even blind-type commands
> that will run correctly. only the display is messed up.
> a blind-typed "reset" has no effect.

I also found that enebling the xv extension in my XFree causes the
consoles to be lost, but in a different way.

After enabling it and entering X if I switch to a console I see the
console image, but no matter what I do the console stays the same, as
you say I can type blindly.

> any clues ?
> i'm using x version 4.2.0 with a voodoo3 card (dri and agp enabled).
> this is an smp box with 2 p3/600 katmai.
> might this be not a kernel issue, but an x11 problem ?

We have too many things in common to stablish a pattern, I'm using XFree
4.2.0, a voodoo 3 2000 pci card, and I also have a smp box, but it's a
2x200mmx.

I think it's a X issue by not leaving the console state consitent.

> best wishes,
>
> j?rn
>

> please keep be cc:ed, i only read lkml archives.

I'm doing

--
Jorge Nerin
<[email protected]>

2002-02-15 17:07:32

by Fernando Korndorfer

Hi

I'm having the same problems with X. It started 4 months ago, with X
lockups, terminal scrambling and eventual system lockups.
With krnl 2.4.18-pre8 and XFree 4.2 it is working again (sort of), but
the garbage you mentioned is there. When I come back to console, there are
blinking colored chars on the screen and some times an arrow or an "X" (or
the last X cursor pointer) that came from X. In my opinion it was a
hardware problem, but for your comments I'm not sure anymore, but I'm sure
it's not a kernel nor XFree issue.
I have to use a generic svga module, not the proper Savage4. Some
resolutions cause lockups, others don't.

Fernando Oscar Korndorfer
Suporte - QUATRO Informatica Ltda.

by Samuel M. Stringham

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 11:17, Jorge Nerin wrote:
> J?rn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > hello *
> >
> > it happens to me regularly that the x server dies without any
> > obvious reason.
>
> I remeber that some time ago, around XFree 4.0 I also had this issues.
>
> > funny thing is, it takes the virtual text consoles with it, which is
> > why i'm posting here.
> >

> Yes, the same issues, now it almost never dies, and if it dies the
> consoles work ok (I'm using FB at 1024x768 and Xfree at 1152x864)

hmm... I had the same problem as the original poster with 4.0, not with
4.1 and rawhides 4.2 XFree86 packages won't even let me start up with
dri+OpenGL (different problem). I will try to rebuild X from source
tonight see if I can garner some insight.
> > i end up in kdm and i can restart x alright, but when i switch vc's,
> > all i see is a frozen image of the x screen. i can switch back to x,
> > and it runs.
> >

> When this happened to me I saw garbage from the X screen from the time
> it died, let's see, X dies, I get dropped to the console (seeing garbage
> colors of the scren) gdm restarts, everything seems ok, but going back
> to the console you see the same garbage as before.

yes, I get/got this too, hasn't happened recently, but then again X
hasn't crashed recently. Another thing (I believe was fbdev related)
was the screwing up of the fonts (! missing the dot at the bottom,
etc.). I believe that was fixed circa 2.4.17/2.5.2 .
> > all tasks i started on the vc's before keep running, the mingettys
> > are there, the bashes are there, and i can even blind-type commands
> > that will run correctly. only the display is messed up.
> > a blind-typed "reset" has no effect.
> >

> I also found that enebling the xv extension in my XFree causes the
> consoles to be lost, but in a different way.
>
> After enabling it and entering X if I switch to a console I see the
> console image, but no matter what I do the console stays the same, as
> you say I can type blindly.
>
> > any clues ?
> > i'm using x version 4.2.0 with a voodoo3 card (dri and agp enabled).
> > this is an smp box with 2 p3/600 katmai.
> > might this be not a kernel issue, but an x11 problem ?
> >

> We have too many things in common to stablish a pattern, I'm using XFree
> 4.2.0, a voodoo 3 2000 pci card, and I also have a smp box, but it's a
> 2x200mmx.
>
> I think it's a X issue by not leaving the console state consitent.

yes, same as above, this is a rather coincidental about the HW configs.
I have a dual celeron (famous bp6 config) with vodoo3 with dri and agp
enabled.
> > best wishes,
> >
> > j?rn
> >

> > please keep be cc:ed, i only read lkml archives.
> >

> I'm doing
>

> --
> Jorge Nerin
> <[email protected]>