2002-02-25 00:04:39

by Ben Greear

Subject: lockup on dual athlon system.

I can repeatedly lockup my TYAN 2460 motherboard with
dual athlon MP 1600s by running make -j 4 modules
(ie build linux)

I'm running the 2.4.18-rc1 kernel with SMP + Athlon optimizations.

sysreq will not print anything out when it locks, and I've seen
it lock both in the console and with X running. I'm not sure
how to go about debugging this any farther, but will be happy
to run tests or gather information if anyone can suggest something...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com

2002-02-25 04:38:03

by Jim Crilly

Subject: mlock + OOM = infinite loop

I have a dual Athlon 1.2Ghz box with 1.2G of memory, I decided to run 2
copies of memtest to test the memory with each testing 629M (the
existance of memtest86 slipped my mind). With the 2.4.17 and 2.4.18-rc2
kernels (Andre's IDE amd kdb patches applied) the kernel loops trying to
free memory so the second mlock can succeed which never happens, I let
it run for about 2 days while I was away and it never became responsive,
minus kdb.

But with Rik's rmap12a patch it successfully starts the OOM and kills
one of the memtest processes, the only strange thing is it kills the
first instance letting the second succeed, I would think it would be
nicer to just fail in the second mlock and let the first continue.

Also all the kernels were compiled with SMP support, if that makes a
difference.

Jim