2002-03-12 19:31:44

by Steffen Persvold

Subject: Kernel profiling

List readers,

Is it possible to use the kernel profiling functionality to do profiling on loadable modules ? If
no, is there any other easy method ?

Steffen Persvold | Scalable Linux Systems | Try out the world's best
mailto:[email protected] | http://www.scali.com | performing MPI implementation:
Tel: (+47) 2262 8950 | Olaf Helsets vei 6 | - ScaMPI 1.13.8 -
Fax: (+47) 2262 8951 | N0621 Oslo, NORWAY | >320MBytes/s and <4uS latency

2002-03-12 21:12:14

by John Levon

Subject: Re: Kernel profiling

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:29:22PM +0100, Steffen Persvold wrote:

> Is it possible to use the kernel profiling functionality to do
> profiling on loadable modules ?

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to extend the profiling buffer for
the module text regions ...

> If no, is there any other easy method ?

http://oprofile.sf.net

regards
john

--
I am a complete moron for forgetting about endianness. May I be
forever marked as such.

2002-03-12 21:18:06

by Andi Kleen

Steffen Persvold <[email protected]> writes:

> List readers,
>
> Is it possible to use the kernel profiling functionality to do profiling on loadable modules ? If
> no, is there any other easy method ?

Either compile the module in or use oprofile (http://oprofile.sourceforge.net)
The later is better, because it is a much more powerful profiler than
the builtin one.

-Andi