2002-03-15 02:52:49

by Richard Gooch

Subject: VGA blank causes hang with 2.4.18

Hi, all. Here's a perverse problem: when the screen blanks (text
console) with 2.4.18, the machine hangs. No ping response, no magic
SysReq response. I didn't have this problem with 2.4.7.

The command I used to configure screen blanking was:
setterm -blank 10 -powerdown 0

This is an Athalon 850 MHz on a Gigabyte GA-7ZM motherboard.

I managed to waste a few hours chasing this, wondering why the machine
hung a while after boot. Of course, I first blamed the jobs that were
started on it soon after boot. Turns out the jobs are not to blame!

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: [email protected]
Current: [email protected]

2002-03-15 03:03:22

by Keith Owens

Subject: Re: VGA blank causes hang with 2.4.18

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:52:31 -0700,
Richard Gooch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, all. Here's a perverse problem: when the screen blanks (text
>console) with 2.4.18, the machine hangs. No ping response, no magic
>SysReq response. I didn't have this problem with 2.4.7.
>
>The command I used to configure screen blanking was:
>setterm -blank 10 -powerdown 0
>
>This is an Athalon 850 MHz on a Gigabyte GA-7ZM motherboard.

Any response with kdb + nmi watchdog + serial console? Sounds like a
lock problem, kdb + nmi watchdog normally lets you debug those.

2002-03-15 03:10:44

by Richard Gooch

Keith Owens writes:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:52:31 -0700,
> Richard Gooch <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi, all. Here's a perverse problem: when the screen blanks (text
> >console) with 2.4.18, the machine hangs. No ping response, no magic
> >SysReq response. I didn't have this problem with 2.4.7.
> >
> >The command I used to configure screen blanking was:
> >setterm -blank 10 -powerdown 0
> >
> >This is an Athalon 850 MHz on a Gigabyte GA-7ZM motherboard.
>
> Any response with kdb + nmi watchdog + serial console? Sounds like
> a lock problem, kdb + nmi watchdog normally lets you debug those.

This box isn't set up for serial console. It's a production box, and
it's running jobs again :-)

Besides, until kdb is integrated into the kernel, I'm not likely to
use it (yeah, I know, hell will have to freeze over first).

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: [email protected]
Current: [email protected]

2002-03-15 18:52:10

by Juan Piernas Canovas

Richard Gooch escribi?:

> Hi, all. Here's a perverse problem: when the screen blanks (text
> console) with 2.4.18, the machine hangs. No ping response, no magic
> SysReq response. I didn't have this problem with 2.4.7.
>
> The command I used to configure screen blanking was:
> setterm -blank 10 -powerdown 0
>
> This is an Athalon 850 MHz on a Gigabyte GA-7ZM motherboard.
>
> I managed to waste a few hours chasing this, wondering why the machine
> hung a while after boot. Of course, I first blamed the jobs that were
> started on it soon after boot. Turns out the jobs are not to blame!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard....

I have had a similar problem for a long time with different versions of
Linux kernel.
This problem rarely occurs and it always does when I am in a text
console. MagicSysRq does not help :-(.

Bye!!!!
--
D. Juan Piernas C?novas
Departamento de Ingenier?a y Tecnolog?a de Computadores

*** Por favor, env?eme sus documentos en formato texto, HTML, PDF o
PostScript :-) ***

2002-03-15 19:00:41

by Alan

> I have had a similar problem for a long time with different versions of
> Linux kernel.=20
> This problem rarely occurs and it always does when I am in a text
> console. MagicSysRq does not help :-(.

Typical that indicates APM problems. Does the hang occur with APM disabled ?

2002-03-16 01:23:07

by Richard Gooch

Alan Cox writes:
> > I have had a similar problem for a long time with different versions of
> > Linux kernel.=20
> > This problem rarely occurs and it always does when I am in a text
> > console. MagicSysRq does not help :-(.
>
> Typical that indicates APM problems. Does the hang occur with APM
> disabled ?

Might be a while before I can answer that, since long-term jobs are
running on the box again. I can tell you that APM was enabled when
screen blanking hung the box.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: [email protected]