2002-03-25 18:23:38

by Marc-Christian Petersen

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Kernel 2.4.18-WOLK3.1

Kernel - patched - WOLK3.1 - Base: Linux kernel 2.4.18

by Marc-Christian Petersen <[email protected]>

This is my second public release. WOLK 3.1 is now available as full kernel
AND as a patchset. There were some requests to do it, so here it is :)
WOLK 3.1 contains several bugfixes found in WOLK 3.0 (formerly known as
mcp3-WOLK), reported by users of wolk and found by myself.
Project name change cause WOLK looks nicer than of mcp-WOLK.

Thanks to darix <[email protected]> for the project name WOLK :-)

What is this? Why another patchset/patched kernel?

Using Linux since years, very tired of there are not really good
patchsets available. Saw FOLK Patch/Kernel which is still very very buggy.
Inspired by the jp-Patchsets from Joerg Prante <[email protected]>.

The WOLK's are development kernels/patchsets for testing purpose only.
!! If you want to use it in production, use it at your own risk !!
Their purpose is to provide a service for developers and end-users who
can't be up to date with the latest official stable kernels/patches but
want to test many features out there linux can use. Maybe, (hopefully)
some of them will be included into the mainstream kernel 2.4 soon.

There will always be a new WOLK major release if there is a new final
kernel released. Minor releases only if someone/me found critical bugs.

You are missing a patch? Patches will be added by request.
You think one or more of the patches are fully useless? Tell me why.
You have minor, major or heavy mega problems, let me know. I will try to fix.
You think this is great? Let me know too :-)

You want YOUR patch to be included in WOLK? Let me know :)

There is also a mailinglist available you can join at:
https://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=49048

Overview:
---------
For an overview go to http://sf.net/projects/wolk
The WOLK 3.1 kernel/patchset contains over 90 Patches

Credits go to all the people who created the patches, working hard on
improving the quality.

Changes in WOLK 3.1
-------------------
o removed: load-kill patch (causes panics)
o update: Tekram DC395 v1.38
o update: Event Logging v1.30
o update: Compressed Cache 0.22 final
o update: Win4Lin mki-adapter Patch update to 1.07
o add: FTP fs
o add: ISDN LZS Compression
o add: TUX
o add: UML
o add: Linux Trace Toolkit
o add: Broadcom Tigon3 support
o small other patches (IDE, RAID ...)
o Minor fixes found in WOLK 3.0
o moved the tools to an extra package

Todo for the next releases:
---------------------------
o Mosix/OpenMosix (why the hell they are so slow to
release new patches. Hurry up !!
o maybe OpenAFS
o maybe OpenGFS
o ALSA
o grsecurity/preempt + Win4Lin coexistence
(Brad/Michael, can you help me with it?)
o If 2.4.19 is final: Reverse Mapping VM

Feel free to send me feedback. Please CC, I am not subscribed to the lkml.

The next major WOLK (WOLK 4) will be available some days after the 2.4.19
final kernel release.

Enjoy!

Marc-Christian Petersen <[email protected]>
Unix/Linux Administrator
Essen, Germany

2002-03-25 20:42:02

by Per Jessen

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Kernel 2.4.18-WOLK3.1

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:21:07 +0100, Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:
>Changes in WOLK 3.1
>-------------------
>o removed: load-kill patch (causes panics)
>o update: Tekram DC395 v1.38
>o update: Event Logging v1.30
>o update: Compressed Cache 0.22 final
>o update: Win4Lin mki-adapter Patch update to 1.07
>o add: FTP fs
>o add: ISDN LZS Compression

I thought there was some fairly good reason as to why the LZS compression
patch is not in the official kernel ? Isn't somebodys patent getting in
the way ?

gruss,
Per

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich
http://www.enidan.com - home of the J1 serial console.

Windows 2001: "I'm sorry Dave ... I'm afraid I can't do that."

2002-03-26 00:00:55

by Alan

> >o add: ISDN LZS Compression
>
> I thought there was some fairly good reason as to why the LZS compression
> patch is not in the official kernel ? Isn't somebodys patent getting in
> the way ?

LZS isn't shippable in the USA, only the free world

2002-03-26 00:17:28

by Ben Greear

> Alan Cox wrote:

>>>o add: ISDN LZS Compression
>>>
>>I thought there was some fairly good reason as to why the LZS compression
>>patch is not in the official kernel ? Isn't somebodys patent getting in
>>the way ?
>>

> LZS isn't shippable in the USA, only the free world

Maybe you mean it isn't shippable from the USA to anywhere else
in the world? Still a reason not to include it, but I was under
the impression that the real restrictions on encryption were about
exports only.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com

2002-03-26 02:06:03

by Alan

> > LZS isn't shippable in the USA, only the free world
>
> Maybe you mean it isn't shippable from the USA to anywhere else
> in the world? Still a reason not to include it, but I was under
> the impression that the real restrictions on encryption were about
> exports only.

LZS isn't encryption. Its a US patent problem.

Alan
--
"Don't ever let a PhD touch hardware! :-)"
-- Pete Buechler

2002-03-26 09:26:43

by Samuel Maftoul

Hello,
First of all, I'm happy to see such a Patchset, Thanks.
you're version name is WOLK in uppercase.
I would like to ask if there is a naming convention for kernel trees:
make-kpkg, which is the kernel source/image packager of the debian,
doesn't support release names in uppercases:
Lion:/usr/src/linux# make-kpkg
debian/rules:966: *** Error. The version number 2.4.18-WOLK3.1 is not
all lowercase. Since the version ends up in the package name of the
kernel image package, this is a Debian policy violation, and the
packaging system shall refuse to package the image. . Stop.
Could you rename your EXTRAVERSION with wolk ? or is it a Debian
limitation ?

Thanks,
Sam

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 07:21:07PM +0100, Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:
> [...]
> o add: Linux Trace Toolkit
> o add: Broadcom Tigon3 support
> o small other patches (IDE, RAID ...)
> o Minor fixes found in WOLK 3.0
> o moved the tools to an extra package
>

> Todo for the next releases:
> ---------------------------
> o Mosix/OpenMosix (why the hell they are so slow to
> release new patches. Hurry up !!
> o maybe OpenAFS
> o maybe OpenGFS
> o ALSA
> o grsecurity/preempt + Win4Lin coexistence
> (Brad/Michael, can you help me with it?)
> o If 2.4.19 is final: Reverse Mapping VM

> Feel free to send me feedback. Please CC, I am not subscribed to the lkml.
>
> The next major WOLK (WOLK 4) will be available some days after the 2.4.19
> final kernel release.
>

> Enjoy!
>
> Marc-Christian Petersen <[email protected]>

by Marc-Christian Petersen

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 10:25, you wrote:

Hi Samuel,

> First of all, I'm happy to see such a Patchset, Thanks.
:-) Thanks that you are using it :)

> you're version name is WOLK in uppercase.
> I would like to ask if there is a naming convention for kernel trees:
> make-kpkg, which is the kernel source/image packager of the debian,
> doesn't support release names in uppercases:
> Lion:/usr/src/linux# make-kpkg
> debian/rules:966: *** Error. The version number 2.4.18-WOLK3.1 is not
> all lowercase. Since the version ends up in the package name of the
> kernel image package, this is a Debian policy violation, and the
> packaging system shall refuse to package the image. . Stop.
> Could you rename your EXTRAVERSION with wolk ? or is it a Debian
> limitation ?
Yes, i know of that limitation of make-kpkg, but i have forgotton to rename
it for WOLK 3.1. You can do so easily for yourself my editing the patched
kernel/full wolk kernel File Makefile and look for EXTRAVERSION = -WOLK3.1
and rename it to -wolk3.1. Its in the 4th line of that File, or, if you
haven't patched the vanilla at all or want to change it permanently for the
patchset, edit 99_VERSION, look for +EXTRAVERSION = -WOLK3.1 and rename it
too.

You want to support Debian Kernel Package of WOLK? I appreciate it :)

--
Kind regards
Marc-Christian Petersen

Linux-Systeme GmbH
Tenderweg 11 45141 Essen
Tel.: +49 201 - 85 85 130 / Mobil: +49 173 - 541 68 09
http://www.linux-systeme.de - http://sourceforge.net/projects/wolk

PGP/GnuPG Key: 1024D/408B2D54947750EC
Fingerprint: 8602 69E0 A9C2 A509 8661 2B0B 408B 2D54 9477 50EC
Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net. ? Encrypted e-mail preferred.

2002-03-26 22:36:16

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> You are missing a patch? Patches will be added by request.
> You think one or more of the patches are fully useless? Tell me why.
> You have minor, major or heavy mega problems, let me know. I will try to fix.
> You think this is great? Let me know too :-)
>
> You want YOUR patch to be included in WOLK? Let me know :)

Yep. Would you take swsusp? [Support for suspend-to-disk]
Pavel