2002-06-02 17:21:11

by Kilobug

Subject: Very big shm area

Hello,
I wanted to know if it is possible to have a very big system V shared
memory segment (say about 1Gb) ?

I've quickly looked into the source code of shm.c and shm.h in ipc/ and
I've read the following:
/*
* SHMMAX, SHMMNI and SHMALL are upper limits are defaults which can
* be increased by sysctl
*/

But how far is it possible to increase them ? And which sysctl must be
done ?

Thank you for answering,

--
** Gael Le Mignot "Kilobug", Ing3 EPITA - http://kilobug.free.fr **
Home Mail : [email protected] Work Mail : [email protected]

"Software is like sex it's better when it's free.", Linus Torvalds

2002-06-02 18:29:21

by Austin Gonyou

Subject: Re: Very big shm area

I run a Dell 6450 with 8GB ram and a 4GB SHMMAX. You can set the
parameter any time through sysctl if you have it enabled, or you can
hardcode it per the Oracle/DB2 Docs if you wish.

Austin

On Sun, 2002-06-02 at 12:21, Kilobug wrote:
> Hello,
> I wanted to know if it is possible to have a very big system V shared
> memory segment (say about 1Gb) ?
>
> I've quickly looked into the source code of shm.c and shm.h in ipc/ and
> I've read the following:
> /*
> * SHMMAX, SHMMNI and SHMALL are upper limits are defaults which can
> * be increased by sysctl
> */
>
> But how far is it possible to increase them ? And which sysctl must be
> done ?
>
> Thank you for answering,

2002-06-02 18:37:47

by William Lee Irwin III

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 07:21:21PM +0200, Kilobug wrote:
> Hello,
> I wanted to know if it is possible to have a very big system V
> shared memory segment (say about 1Gb) ?
> I've quickly looked into the source code of shm.c and shm.h in ipc/
> and I've read the following:
> /*
> * SHMMAX, SHMMNI and SHMALL are upper limits are defaults which can
> * be increased by sysctl
> */
> But how far is it possible to increase them ? And which sysctl must be
> done ?
> Thank you for answering,

ls /proc/sys/kernel/sh* and the names shouldn't be too tough from there.
I'd be concerned about exercising this code on a virgin 2.4.17 as ISTR
bugfixes for sysv ipc/shm cropping up in later kernel versions, though
I can't say I've tracked this area very closely. Hopefully someone who
does can chime in here and enlighten us both.

Cheers,
Bill

2002-06-02 18:44:43

by Austin Gonyou

To get *good* performance from such a large SGA, it's best to use a -aa
kernel I've found. Either 2.4.18-aa + whatever patches, or something
similar. But there's been some fixes/changes/optimizations to the -aa
tree with regards to large memory boxes.

I'm curious though how P4 HT will play into that performance on the new
Xeons though. I'll have more to report in the next few weeks.