2002-06-09 12:09:58

by Thomas 'Dent' Mirlacher

Subject: comments on adding slist.h

since we've already list.h, what about adding slist.h for
single linked lists?

single linked list are often used within the kernel,
specifically slist_for_each() could be useful, since we can use
prefetch() there. (slist_for_each could be used 42 times alone net/core)

any comments, (like, single linked lists are so trivial, there is no
need for a header file. or, the programmer has to take care of using
prefetch() when traversing single linked lists ...) are welcome.

thanks,
tm

--
in some way i do, and in some way i don't.

2002-06-09 14:39:12

by Martin Dalecki

Subject: Re: comments on adding slist.h

Thomas 'Dent' Mirlacher wrote:
> since we've already list.h, what about adding slist.h for
> single linked lists?
>
> single linked list are often used within the kernel,
> specifically slist_for_each() could be useful, since we can use
> prefetch() there. (slist_for_each could be used 42 times alone net/core)
>
> any comments, (like, single linked lists are so trivial, there is no
> need for a header file. or, the programmer has to take care of using
> prefetch() when traversing single linked lists ...) are welcome.
>
> thanks,
> tm

Just do it plese. It has been long overdue.

2002-06-09 21:05:45

by William Lee Irwin III

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 02:09:57PM +0200, Thomas 'Dent' Mirlacher wrote:
> since we've already list.h, what about adding slist.h for
> single linked lists?
> single linked list are often used within the kernel,
> specifically slist_for_each() could be useful, since we can use
> prefetch() there. (slist_for_each could be used 42 times alone net/core)
> any comments, (like, single linked lists are so trivial, there is no
> need for a header file. or, the programmer has to take care of using
> prefetch() when traversing single linked lists ...) are welcome.
> thanks,
> tm

This would be a valuable contribution.

Thanks,
Bill

2002-06-09 21:27:43

by Thunder from the hill

Hi,

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> This would be a valuable contribution.

It's already there.

<URL:ftp://luckynet.dynu.com/pub/linux/2.5.21-ct1/patches/introduce-slist_h.patch.bz2>

Or in the -ct tree.

Regards,
Thunder
--
German attitude becoming | Thunder from the hill at ngforever
rightaway popular: |